New kitten

My daughter adopted a kitten for her birthday and we already have a cat (about a year and a half old). Her new kitten is only 8 weeks old, and our older cat is considerably bigger than her. Every time the cats see each other, they hiss and start acting aggressive towards each other. I do realize that this is a natural reaction to new animals in the home, but it worries me because the new kitten is so small. I've been keeping her in my room with the door closed so the cats aren't around each other unsupervised, but I was wondering how I could help ease the tension between the two of them. Any suggestions?

prinzesstephi

Asked by prinzesstephi at 4:31 AM on Dec. 28, 2010 in Pets

• Keeping the kitten in a room with the door closed is a good idea to start. The cat and kitten can interact (harmlessly) through the crack under the door. Try putting some food or treats right on either side so they can get used to eating next to each other. Just beware that they might not ever become friends at all, they might just tolerate the other's existance. It may take weeks or months.
    serioussifL

Answer by serioussifL at 4:36 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• if they are both the same sex, it will cause more problems.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 6:18 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I'm sorry, i didn't finish. Had to take my DH to work.

It's normal for the most part. Cats are creatures of habit & the other cat should get used to the new kitten eventually. But, if they are the same sex, it will cause more territory issues.

I brought home a female kitten one time & i already had an older female cat. They actually NEVER learned how to get along & the older cat ran away. I actually found out a few years later that the neighbor behind me (through the woods a ways) had adopted her. Which i was happy about because forever i thought she may have died. The vet later told me that same sex cats are more likely to fight over territory than opposite sex cats.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 6:42 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• You are doing everything right by keeping them separated they will eventually work it out. G/L enjoy your kitten
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 9:56 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• The new kitten is female, our older cat is male. I'm a little worried about the fact that the male cat isn't fixed... it's my understanding that they will be more aggressive if they're not fixed. I am working on getting that taken care of, though.
    prinzesstephi

Comment by prinzesstephi (original poster) at 3:22 PM on Dec. 28, 2010