Scratching post?

How can get a kitten to understand what a scratching post is? I've never adopted a kitten before (all my cats have been older and already associated with the scratching post by the time we adopt them) but our new kitten has been scratching everything... except the post.

prinzesstephi

Asked by prinzesstephi at 4:33 AM on Dec. 28, 2010 in Pets

• Everytime she goes to scratch, bring her over to the post and show her. Maybe take her paw and just scratch it a time or two for her. Each time you see her doing it, bring her there. It'll sink in soon. Cats are very quick learners. If they didn't stink and poop in the house, I'd love to have one. They practically take care of themselves. Not high maintnance like dogs. :)
    AtHomeMommy-3

Answer by AtHomeMommy-3 at 4:39 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• My kittnes both use the scratching post but still scratch the couches, etc.
    Lobelia

Answer by Lobelia at 4:58 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Yes-every time you see her scratching bring her to the scratching post and move her paws on it. I also took my fingers ane kind of "pawed" at it when I was showing my cat what to do. And if she does use it to scratch make sure you tell her what a good girl she is and show her lots of attention when she finishes. The other thing is some cats prefer the scratching board that lies flat on the ground-mine did. He did not like to reach up on a post so try to have both available and see which she prefers. You can get the cheap cardboard ones that lie flat and my cat actually preferred that kind to anything else I provided.
    confused969

Answer by confused969 at 9:11 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Have you tried covering the post with cat nip?
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 5:16 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• And yes try out a few different ones until you find one it likes.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 5:17 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Good luck - it's not easy. Some ideas I have heard:
    -Spray her with a watergun whenever she scratched the furniture.
    -Pet her whenever she scratched the scratching post
    -Try different kinds of scratching posts, like there is one made of cardboard that is not a post, more of a mat, etc
    -There are things you can spray on the furniture to make her want to avoid it
    -Put the scratching post near something she usually scratches
    -Decide if you love the cat more than the furniture (lol!)
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 9:59 AM on Jan. 7, 2011