My son is , by his own definition, OG

Help!

My very handsome teenaged son, 9th grade, has decided to go 'gangsta'. Mind you, he is as upper-class suburban white as they come, never lived in a 'hood' and all that. He wears the gear and is acting like he is a 'mimbo' (male bimbo). His little girlfriends think he is the bomb and adorable. He just pisses me off with this little act of his.

What does a mom do?

cerealmom2

Asked by cerealmom2 at 7:04 AM on Dec. 28, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• oh my gosh it is crazy.We are upper middle class.My 14 year old claims to be O.G.and he neither dresses or acts the part.His whole group of total cute nerds claim this.Honor roll,athletics,Science Olympiad and more but they are O.G. in their minds.As long as they are stable in other areas watch closely but it will pass.My 25 year old is an Army Capt Bronze Star w/Valor recipient and he claimed O.G. as a 14 &15 year old.He even had a pair of jeans he bought w/ allowance with 36 inch legs.O.G. dress back then.The rest of his life stayed stable and he outgrew the phase.Good luck.

drfink

Answer by drfink at 1:17 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• how is he getting these clothes and the $$ for the look??
    With my kids I let them express themselves with in reason. I set up the ground rules they could move around freely with in those boundaries. Pants had to be pulled up i did not want to see any underwear. Hair had to be clean and not hanging in the eyes.
    You are the parent it is up to you to set up the rules for him to follow. If he is dressing in a way you find offensive then he needs to clean up his act.
    I always told my kids if you have to "act" cool then you aren't. being cool (or gangsta) is something you either are or are not I can act like a man but it doesn't make me one....get it have a talk with him set up some ground rules. Give him 'some' room for freedom of expression

My kids friends also had to follow the rules when in my house and they gladly did it out of respect for me and because they wanted to really spend time here.
    IJS
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 7:22 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Bring him to a real ghetto & let him see how real gangsta's think of him. Maybe that's not a good idea...lol. but they would laugh at him & poke fun at him, or even worse....

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 7:28 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• If he's in 9th grade, I honestly doubt there's anything you as a mother can say or do to make him stop. Does he have a father (or father figure) who could maybe make him understand that it's not attractive to dress like that? My stepdaughter's brother was dressing like that....of course he was a bit younger....but my husband stepped in and showed him that it just wasn't cool to be gangster. But now of course he's a skull and spike-wearing monster like my husband, but that's better than your pants hanging halfway down your legs and stupid gold chains.
    Gemska

Answer by Gemska at 7:47 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• honestly if you ignore it for the most part it will phase its self out......
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 9:54 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Mom, stop buying him the clothes, don't pay for the haircuts and make it clear that that look is unacceptable. I have 4 sons, we live in middle class suburbia & 3 of my 4 sons turned out great, went to college, etc. and the other one hit 18, started using drugs, moved away and joined a gang (Crips--even though my son is white), ended up in prison and is now a convicted felon. There is NOTHING glamorous about being gangsta. Before my son moved out he wasn't interested in dressing like an OG until he moved out. I am lucky my son is still alive, that the 6 mos. in the prison rehab program actually made an impact on him and he doesn't want to go back to that life but he still has to deal with the being a convicted felon for the rest of his life and he'll only be 23 in a week.
    Anonymous

• When my boys were that age, I didn't LET them act that way. They needed to speak proper English, not slang. They weren't allowed to wear baggy pants with their boxers showing. If he wanted to buy something with his own money, fine, but that didn't mean he was leaving the house wearing it. They also had rules for how long they could play video games and for how long they could be one the phone. They also could not get any piercings or tattoos until they were old enough to sign for it themselves. (that was their dad's rule. i would have let them get an ear pierced at least, but their father disagreed).
    They are both very respectful adults now.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 8:04 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Hang in there, he will outgrow this....

Answer by older at 10:47 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Ignore him, it is a phase and he will outgrow it. Just make sure he stays out of trouble and doesn't get one of his bimbos pregnant.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:57 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• How are his grades? Is he doing drugs? Smoking? Using bad language in front of you? Stealing?
    If he's good in all these areas you have nothing to worry about. Let him express himself in his clothing.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 2:41 PM on Dec. 28, 2010