Is it safe to color your hair while your pregnant I haven't but just wondering if its safe or not

Is it safe to color your hair while your pregnant I haven't been but just wondering if its safe or not I use to worry all the time when I was younger and now the rays of time are catching up with me and I have some white hairs I'm 37 and this is my first baby. If not is there anything to use to cover the white thats safe, I'v just been dealing with it

babydoll845

Asked by babydoll845 at 7:47 AM on Dec. 28, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I wouldnt do it

there is some evidence that you absorb the chemicals which are toxic so just wait -- I breastfed but did color my hair within an hour after I delivered LOL yep I did it right in the hospital
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 7:55 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Doctor's vary in opinion on this. Mine felt that while it might be safe, it wasn't worth the risk. A friend of mine was pregnant at the same time and her doctor said it wasn't a problem.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 8:12 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• It is fine to color your hair. The only reason they say not to, is because of the odor of the color. i dont know about you..but my hair lady mixes the color in a different room..and i dont smell it at all. I did it when I was pregnant with both of my kids, and they are both healthy. My hair dresser even does hair while she's pregnant..and her kids are fine. Go treat yourself!!
    LoveMyKids0203

Answer by LoveMyKids0203 at 8:15 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• They make some dies that don't have chemicals in them (they are organic)...however they don't last as long. I believe they tell you not to do it while prego b/c the chemicals get into your body via your scalp. I'm not an expert, but I personally wouldn't do it though.
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 8:53 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• perfectly fine. if your doing it at home do it in a well venetladed room and have a near by window open.....

i did hair before i became a SAHM mom, 9 months of coloring other pls hair and my own , everything is fine...
    2boysmommy.js

Answer by 2boysmommy.js at 9:30 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• its safe dont let people tell u it isnt i was like 8 weeks and colored my hair and wow baby is still fine its totaly fine just dont perm your hair and keep the room very ventilated and u will be fine in no time
    AliciaLamoreux

Answer by AliciaLamoreux at 10:10 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• It is ok to color your hair up until you are 6months. They prefer you not after that. However, my aunt colored her hair until she was 8months. She had no problems. I colored mine when I was 5 1/2. :)
    sissy0604

Answer by sissy0604 at 11:46 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• If you have to do it, use HENNA. You can find it at health food stores. It's natural.
    cuteandcurly

Answer by cuteandcurly at 12:51 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I heard that it's fine if it doesn't have ammonia. But that your hair also doesn't hold the color well
    Katy556

Answer by Katy556 at 3:44 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I got mine done at 7weeks preggo. the stylist said I will be fine. the colors have no where near the fumes they use to have and i usually highlight mine and I did some red and some blonde. she said that it will also be fine cause none of it is seeping into the scalp.... since then my hair has grown over an inch!! Im wanting to do it again soo bad.. have fun,
    mommyoftristan

Answer by mommyoftristan at 6:52 PM on Dec. 28, 2010