taking a 5 year old to the neurologist?

I just wanted to see if anyone else has had this issue. My 5 year old has developed a facial tic/twitch along with a humming and a clicking sound. Her doctor said its definately neurological sicne there is a sound involved and she obviously doesnt know she is doing this. So I made her an appointment with a neurologist. The doctor said he is a super nice guy and a great doctor so Im not worried there. I was just wondering if anyone else experienced anything similar and what happened and what to expect. We are extremely worried about this and the waiting and unknown is just making it worse.This tic has been going on for about 2 weeks. The pediatrician said that its common in 5-6 year olds but it doesnt last this long.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:58 AM on Dec. 28, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Sounds like you did the right thing taking your child in right away, and you're being sent to a specialist. Just try to keep things at home as normal as possible, and try not to let your stress show to the child. You will find out some information while you're at the appointment, but tests may be done, and you may have wait to find out more. It will be hard being patient and waiting, but you can do it. There is really nothing else you can do right now but just be confident that you did the right thing by going in to the doctor right away. My thoughts are with you.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 8:06 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I hope your appointment is soon. It is the waiting that is difficult! We had to take our son to a developmental pediatrician for ADHD & she was reassuring. My friends had to have their son evaluated in a round the clock EKG last week. He had electrodes attached to his head & had to stay at the hospital under observation with his dad for 3 days/nights. They were supposed to stay for a week but luckily got out on Christmas Eve. They were trying to see if any of his behavior was due to mini-seizures that weren't obvious. He had 3 seizures while there. The doctors came up with medication to treat it & apparently it is already making a difference.
    Verrine

Answer by Verrine at 8:21 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I have had concerns for a while about ADD but when I asked the dr about it since I read it can be linked but it was vague, she said the specialist will go over all of that. Of course Ive never had a 5 year old before so I dont know if its normal 5 year old behavior but she gets distracted extremely easy. I mean even eating dinner the table has to be completely clear because she will start playing with anything, the salt shaker, a crumb, a spare fork. We do online Kindergarten and again with school work every little thing will catch her attention and she is gone into that and not paying attention. I think googling is making it worse because everything I keep reading comes down to Tourettes.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:34 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Don't fear the answer. Face it and find out how to work with it.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 8:42 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I'm sorry I don't have any answers, but I just want to tell you that you are doing the right thing. I work with elementary age students and so many parents do not take the advice the dr gave them b/c they don't want to admit there is anything wrong. In the end, they are only hurting their child.
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 8:51 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• 2 of my dds see a neurologist regularly and have since they were 2 (the older one) and under a year for the younger for their seizure disorders. It can be frightening for us adults, but I will tell you that #1 - THEY do not do anything that hurts! No shots, lab work or pokes. They will order labs to follow med levels, but they themselves NEVER do any of this, so this is usually a fun doctor to go see. They will see how big they are and have them run down the hall and back (super fun for kids!) and listen to their hearts and tummys. My kids both knew this was the fun doctor - NO POKES!! The key is for YOU to be calm - because kids feed off mom & dad's attitude. I would strongly encourage you to call the dr's office and ask to speak to their nurse. Ask her questions - there's no dumb question!! Ask what to expect at this appointment, are there any questions you need to write down to ask her, etc. It will help, I promise! GL!
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 8:54 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• babylove- that does sound like a fun doctor! Im sure she will enjoy it. Im trying to just not think about it since I can't do anything about it untill the appointment. My DH on the other hand is making it hard for me to keep my mind off of it becuase all he can think about is it and so wants to talk about it. Its hard to be strong when you see a grown man break down ya know. Also my mom and MIl have both offered to go and I was thinking about having one go with us so she can occupy my 3 year old. Should I worry about that or will my 3 year old be fine while there. I mean he is a boy and 3 so he gets alittle antsy but normally does pretty well when at the doctors for an appointment thats not for him. Of course my DH will be going. I just dont wanna have a ton of people going.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:17 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• we had to start the neuro thing last spring with our DS (he was 7) he was diag with nocturnal seizures.... the scariest summer of my life... I know completely different than what you are going through but a word of advice...make sure you are understanding what the doc is sayingn to you so you can understand....I had so many questions and was freaking out and the doc never made me feel like i understood, why this was going on could we fi it where in the brain it was occuring etc..I went for a second oppinion and what a world of difference! I felt sooo much better...until 2 days later when dioc 1 called and said " So what are ya doing now? Are you leaving my practice/ " talk about awquard! i felt like i was trying to break up gently with a high school boyfriend
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 10:36 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• my son has tourettes

he went to the neurologist about the same age for a diagnosis.. it was NOT invasive and involved alotof movement. My son thought it was fun!  my son is now 13 and doing just fine... no meds.  He does tic and we have learned to deal with it.  His friends are great about it and he only had one issue with an idiot at school but the boy is a dullard and my son is so much smarter and wittier that the boy didnt get very far trying to tease him. 

I think it is harder on the stupid kids than the kids with actual medical issue I think... they try and fail in all aspects.  I have taught my kids to feel bad for the stupid ones and to simply live thier lives as who they are... you will always have to deal with stupid in life.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:45 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• anonymous- My mom said I shouldnt worry about tourettes becuase its hereditary but I can't help but think about it. Does anyone else in you family have tourettes?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:49 AM on Dec. 28, 2010