2 year old with night terrors

DD has had the occasional night terror since she was 6 months old. She would wake up screaming as if she was being hurt or was in pain and she would be asleep. I would not be able to calm her down or console her at all and eventually (after about 5 minutes or so) she would just suddenly be fast asleep again. She has no recollection of this happening in the morning. It would happen about once a month and then it stopped from probably 1 year old until now. For the past month she has been waking up every single night crying saying she is afraid. Within that month she has had 3 night terrors where she is screaming and crying for me even when I am holding her and she is clearly asleep during these episodes and then falls fast asleep after a few short minutes. There are have been no major changes in her life or her schedule. She sleeps from about 7pm-7am daily with a nap from about 12:30-2 as well. Recently she has been afraid of EVERYTHING...especially scary parts in kids movies (the newest one is the baby that hiccups and turns on fire in the Incredibles movie), tickle me elmo or anything that moves or talks that shouldnt...is this a phase or should I consult a specialist?

LLE672

Asked by LLE672 at 8:37 AM on Dec. 28, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My grandson had them for years and one day they just stopped. The doctor just said make sure you don't wake them up. We just held him and talked to him in a soft voice until he stopped.

Answer by admckenzie at 8:45 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I would check with her doc to be sure. My niece had night terrors and the doctor said she would grow out of them. Which she did but it was hard on my sister. Even though she was sleeping, not being able to console her was hard. My daughter was fine until she was three years old and she became terrified of everything. Dolls, certain pictures, tv shows, etc. There was no apparant reason and when I would ask her if anything had happened to make her scared she always said no. She's eleven now and is still scittish about certain things but she doesn't even remember being scared of dolls and such. I know this isn't an answer but maybe my experiences will help in some way :)
    nealracin

Answer by nealracin at 8:47 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• My daughter has the occassional night terror and it is horrible to experience her terror, but you have to wait it out and not try to wake her up. You watch to make sure they do not hurt themselves with the thrashing. I am told they will grow out of it. I really hope so.
    DebHart71

Answer by DebHart71 at 8:15 PM on Dec. 29, 2010