Do you think that it is inappropriate to market goods to Muslims specifically?

According to research, the Muslim population is a growing niche market. The need for Halal goods is growing.

In this economy, I would think that anything that gets money spent is a good thing...but companies are facing backlash. UK KFCs pulled their halal chicken offerings after public dismay, dubbing the product "terror chicken." (There's a hell of a lot more to be afraid of in that chicken-like the sodium content) Best buy got backlash for acknowledging a Muslim holiday in one of their flyers.

so, what do you think? Does free market reign supreme? Or do you have a problem with people marketing their goods toward Muslims? If you do, do you have a problem with the sale of Kosher goods?

What I'm reading now...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101227/ap_on_bi_ge/us_the_muslim_consumer

lovinangels

Asked by lovinangels at 9:32 AM on Dec. 28, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• No. WHY would there be any problems?
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 9:34 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I'm sure someone will have some "sage wisdom" on why behavior like that is not bigotry. I don't believe it for a second, but they've probably built up a fully convincing (to themselves) argument about why it's ok to defame an entire religion consisting of millions of people based on the actions of a few...even though it's never ok to even mention a certain other religion in association with anyone who commits a crime in its name, let alone marketing chicken to them.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:35 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• No,ummmm what do you call Christmas sales??

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:35 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• What's wrong with it? Places market things toward those who are gluten free and they market things as being Kosher for those who are Jewish.
    I think we need to be more accepting. Not everyone who is Muslim is a terrorist. Not all terrorist are Muslim.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:35 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• No. WHY would there be any problems?
    ___________________________________
    Evidently there ARE problems. People are protesting this. It's a thing. I don't know why it's a thing, but it's a thing.
    lovinangels

Comment by lovinangels (original poster) at 9:37 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• OKay, to rephrase...why are people objecting to a marketing effort? As another poster just mentioned, they are now marketing GLUTEN_FREE----for people with Celiac disease. My daugher has it. And there is already specific foods for other specific religions.To object to any kind of marketing efforts such as this Muslim issue, t IS prejudice!!!
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 9:41 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• No different than marketing all the goods for Hispanics down here in Texas. If an area has a concentrated population of a specific group of people then it is only reasonable to expect there will be offerings for them. Muslims are not evil people, only a select few that have skewed their religion would be considered evil. Why people can't see that I have no idea.

shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 9:49 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• No, seems like a capitalist ideal. I don't have any problems with it.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:53 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• People protest because they enjoy living in ignorance and being closed minded bigots.

Your initial post is correct; as soon as I read the title I thought "and that is different from marketing specifically to the Jewish during Passover etc how?"...utterly ridiculous that people would protest; but people in this country can be pretty stupid at times too
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 10:18 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Marketing for a Muslim holiday- nothing wrong with that, a large percentage of retailers market for Christian holidays (hello Christmas! Easter!)...

but TERROR chicken?? really?? that's just horrible.

Marketing toward a niche' market isn't new or wrong. Sprcifically targeting women for example....no issues....as long as they don't do it in a deragatory, disrespectful way...

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 10:42 AM on Dec. 28, 2010