Is this an allergic reaction?

We went out to breakfast with our daughters this morning and the only thing on the buffet that was soft was eggs, so we gave our 9 month old a plate. She ate it, loving every bite. When we go home I reliazed her chest and face were red and had little white bumps. I have been trying to find pictures of allergic reactions with no luck.

The bumps and redness is 100% gone now. In my search I did find out she wasn't suppose to have egg whites until after 12 months, but I thought I made our oldest daughter scrambled eggs at 9/10 months.

Could this be an allergic reaction and if so did I mess up really bad by giving her the eggs? I mean she ate some pumpkin pie with me last night and has had breads, they have eggs in them?

Thanks!!

Momma_Forever

Asked by Momma_Forever at 12:23 PM on Nov. 10, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would say it was a mild allergic reaction for sure. On Halloween we had to rush our 9 month old to the ER because his face and lips were swelling up after eating some level 2 baby food, Mac and cheese. His face was extremely red and itchy and he broke out in a rash all over his body. In the baby food were egg whites. I'm am sure that it was the egg whites that had done it. Why they would put egg whites in a level 2 baby food for 6 month old babies is beyond me because it seems to me that lots of babies are allergic to eggs.
    jacy3031

Answer by jacy3031 at 1:31 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• Sounds like it. Just watch her breathing for any signs of distress. Call her Dr. to make sure.
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 12:33 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• If they are gone I would say that it is not because an allergic reaction would still be there my son was eating eggs at a very young age but u do have 2 watch what they eat so jus keep paying attention 2 her.
    poobaby

Answer by poobaby at 12:35 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• This has been about an hour ago now and she seems perfectly fine, except from being cranky but she had her blood drawn at the doctors office so that is understandable.
    Momma_Forever

Answer by Momma_Forever at 12:36 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• Sounds like it to me. Make sure the doctor knows about this, because certain vaccines cannot be given to people with egg allergies.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:33 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• Souds like it. Talk with your doctor, it's very important to do that, because of vaccines, etc.

You didn't cause the allergy by giving her the eggs, so don't worry about that.
    Ooftacat

Answer by Ooftacat at 1:58 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• Could be the eggs..Is your daughter on a milk based formula or if you BF do you consume milk? If the eggs were scrambled then they may have been made with milk and it could be a reaction to the milk. If it is an egg allergy, once eggs are cookied into a product, then the chances of a reaction are very rare. People who are allergic to eggs are allergic to the "raw" egg product; meaning scrambled, fried, french toast (the batter is cooked but it's still like scrambled eggs on the outside) But once an egg is cooked into a product like bread or crackers, then it's fine for them to eat.
    twinx2

Answer by twinx2 at 2:04 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• She drinks formula now with no problems
    Momma_Forever

Answer by Momma_Forever at 6:12 PM on Nov. 10, 2008