• In the Spotlight:

Are states taxing themselves to death?

The states that lost seats in the House because they are shrinking, have a 27% higher tax rate than the ones that gained seats.
Of the seven states that don't have a personal income tax, four (Texas, Florida, Nevada and Washington) account for eight of the 12 seats apportioned to the fastest-growing states.
New York and Ohio lost two more seats. Other losers -- down one each -- are Massachusetts, Missouri, Michigan, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Illinois, Louisiana and Iowa. What do they all have in common? High taxes.
Texas, with the second lowest taxes in the nation, gained four seats, Florida picked up two and Arizona, Georgia, Nevada, South Carolina, Utah, and Washington state each gained one. All have low taxes.

Carpy

Asked by Carpy at 9:51 AM on Dec. 28, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Yep! Thanks to the unions and any state that accepted Obama's stimulus package! Once that money runs out, those "jobs created or saved" are going to cost a bundle! Then watch taxes go through the roof to recoup that money, and continue to "save jobs!"
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:01 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Not long ago, when I mentioned that people move to states that will benefit them, I was told I was wrong by a certain not so sweet lib..... Hrmmmmmmm
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 12:35 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Looks like another huge Republican psunami is on the horizon.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 1:21 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Bingo LoriK, many people-mostly conservatives-were able to see the writing on the wall. Blue states IMO deserve what they get.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 1:23 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I moved from living comfortable in TX, to MA. After moving to MA, I was always poor! After Fed. and State income tax, I was forced to pay other rediculous taxes. We had all kids of City tax expenses that I can't even break down on a good day. The city required us to buy city trash bags at 1.00 PER BAG! They were planning on raising the price to 1.50 per bag before we moved. We had to pay tolls everywhere we went. Gas was through the roof. We had to pre-pay for recycleable bottles (so, if I bought a Coke, they tacked 5-10 cents on the price for the recycleable bottle. I could only get money that back if I physically returned the bottle to the store, and lost that money if I put it in my at-home recycle bin). It was REDICULOUS! We've since moved back to TX and ironically seem to be back in the financial black. Hmmmm.
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 4:57 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• We left TX for IL because of a job a few years ago. Man, from a tax angle, it stinks. Tax here. Toll there. Extra fee tacked onto this, which is also taxed. It's crazy. Yes, we had a pay raise, but we're being eaten alive with taxes and 'fees'. And last I heard, the governor wants to raise the state income tax. It's insane. I want to go back to TX.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 11:34 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Because of the way California's electoral votes ALWAYS go (to the left), and the leftists which get elected to Congress in a preponderance of our districts, I was VERY sad to see that our sky-high taxes had NOT diminished California's number of seats - probably the good climate and the friendly social services for immigrants kept our census numbers up.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 3:13 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I live in California & think we are absolutely being taxed to death. We're taking pay cuts, losing benefits, prices have gone up & then they're raising taxes adding new ones. How is the average person supposed to pay their bills & their taxes, with less income & higher prices....you can't cut our pay, cut jobs, raise prices & then get more tax money out of people

We actually moved to Wyoming about 8 yrs ago, partially because of this, WY is also a low tax state. No state income tax, lower sales tax and property taxes. Housing is cheaper, gasoline is cheaper, but groceries are higher because they all have to be trucked in....especially produce, nothing grows there & medical care is difficult to get & more expensive because your health care options are limited & only certain kinds of insurance are available. Also, wages are lower. To some degree it balanced out. We loved Wyoming & stayed 6 yrs, but ultimately returned home.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 11:00 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I am in Iowa and personally don't feel our taxes are that high. I wouldn't live anywhere else I think things overall are going well here. So what some dead weight moved out makes us a better place.lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:51 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

It isn't the dead weight that is leaving these states.
    Carpy

Comment by Carpy (original poster) at 12:21 PM on Dec. 28, 2010