reading

My 4yr old wants to learn how to read. What method did u guy use, supply I really need help

keona101

Asked by keona101 at 9:53 AM on Dec. 28, 2010 in General Parenting

• JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:55 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Does your child know the letters and the letter sounds? If not, this is where you need to start. Then, move on to words that have similar endings, such as the 'at' words, cat, hat, bat, fat, mat, pat, rat, sat. etc. then go on to the 'an' words. can, fan, man, pan, ran, tan, van

A good website that can help you out with this is www.starfall.com

layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:59 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• my dd liked the Bob books, it was just rhyme and repetition. Kinda like the old dick and jane books.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 10:51 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I read to my boys every day. We also sat down and learned the sounds each letter makes. Eventually while reading stories, I'd have them sound out the first word of each paragraph, then I'd read on, then the first sentence of each paragraph, etc. Two of my boys read at 4 years old, one struggled for awhile, but by 6th grade was reading at a post graduate reading level (according to school testing). We didn't buy any special programs, just read regularly, and picked books they wanted to read.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 11:11 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I recommend the vtech vsmile, flashcards, you reading to your child all the time and following the words with your finger. Baby, first reader books, etc... My son is now six and he is an advanced reader and great speller. We have had crazy weeks and I've missed the about 2 weeks of spelling words and he's only missed about 1 or 2 words! The best thing I can tell you is to pretend you're his teacher, you really are, and play your version of school. Make it fun. If you don't have much time think of different projects you can do one a day. Try cutting out letters and glue stick them on to paper to spell. Maybe next time you can buy the foam letter stickers and avoid the glue sticks and do the same. Practice his name, write a sentence and have him glue over it and then have them read what they did back to you. Remember to praise them and post the work they're most proud of!:)
    nqmochafrappe

Answer by nqmochafrappe at 12:36 PM on Dec. 28, 2010