Aspergers Medication Resperidone, I am looking for anyone who has experience with resperidone. Any side efffects? like weight gain? dose amount? How long has child been taking medication and what are the benefits if any?

I am interested in any and all information for a 8year old boy with aspergers. The information out there is so sketchy, I need to hear from someone who has first hand experience with using it. Thank you.

ang2100

Asked by ang2100 at 10:51 AM on Dec. 28, 2010 in Health

• My son is now 11 and has been taking risperidone since he was 7. He has autism, not asperger's. While I do know some children who have gained weight on this medication, my son has not been one of them. I have noticed a big difference in him. He does not get as violent as he once did. He is able to handle being in public better than he used to be able to. He is also doing well in school. We did behavior therapy as I was opposed to medication. The doctor then said to me that medicating him was not a bad thing, it just allowed him to participate in life. He was right. My son is happier and able to participate more in life, instead of screaming and hiding in his room.
    The dose amount depends on your child's age and weight. My son is tall, but skinny for his age. I was actually hoping for the weight gain side effect so he size slim pants would stop falling down is butt. No such luck.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:58 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• My sister was on it. It's not an medication 'for' autism or aspergers. It's a second generation atypical antipsychotic that is used to treat symptoms of mania and schizophrenia.
    She was a total zombie on it and stopped taking it after about three months. She had a hard time waking up in the mornings, it took her hours to get going, she had no personality...she looked like mental patients in movies doing the thorazine shuffle.
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 11:01 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Jenny--It is also approved for use for individuals with autism or aspergers.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 11:25 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• My 7yr old ds has been on it for 2 months now for autism (he has moderate autism was first dx asperger's). The difference was surprising! He was able to function in school and life. His teacher's all comment on how much more happier he seems. We tried an SSRI first which is also used for ASD and that worked for a few months then it was back to violent meltdowns he is still on the SSRI for his anxiety now. He takes 0.25mg a night and will increase to 0.5mg eventually if needed. The first sign we noticed was his sleep was more peaceful. Before he was screaming hitting in his sleep or not sleeping at all. He wakes up not tired or zombie'd at all. We've noticed his eating increased which was actullay good for him as he's underweight (42lbs 49"). We do also have to check his glucose since this can also cause his glucose to rise (but it was also due to family history). The dose will depend on your child's weight and need.
    babyblue21

Answer by babyblue21 at 12:38 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• No experience with these sorry
    grismelda

Answer by grismelda at 4:34 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• giving you a bump.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 5:02 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Might join the Aspergers and autism groups on Cafemom.
    You would prob get more responses.

Good Luck.
    Sandyr911

Answer by Sandyr911 at 5:04 PM on Dec. 28, 2010