Homemade Chicken/Noodle Soup Question

I tried to make homemade chicken noodle soup for the third time - and for the third time was unsuccessful. I cook the chicken and veggies in a little oil, once cooked through I add broth and water, herbs, salt/pepper, then I add the pasta (this time Stellalina or something like that - little stars), and the next day in the fridge, all of the broth has been soaked up and is gone. I have a huge container of chicken broth-flavored pasta with chicken and veggies mixed in. What am I doing wrong??

amybaby_19

Asked by amybaby_19 at 11:00 AM on Dec. 28, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Add less pasta....however, this is going to happen to some degree, as pasta and rice both will continue to expand and soak up the broth. If you are making your soup ahead, don't add the pasta until you are ready to serve it, then just heat your soup, and add past cook for about 20 minutes and serve.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 11:03 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• You have to add enough water/brothfor the pasta to be able to absorb to maximim density and have enough broth left for soup. One way to avoid this is precook your pasta before adding to your soup mix.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 11:03 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Cook the pasta first, then add it to the soup.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 11:05 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• i always cook my pasta seperate and i never have a problem.
    annanonnymommy

Answer by annanonnymommy at 11:13 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I use egg noodles. But if you are gonna put it in the fridge then keep the noodles in a seperate container and add them to the soup as you eat it. Otherwise the noodles will get all nasty.
    matthew9_22

Answer by matthew9_22 at 11:15 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Here's what I do... I get the split chicken breasts (on sale), remove the skin and throw them in a large stock pot, fill the pot with low sodium chicken broth, throw in a carrot or two, a couple of celery stalks, and an onion, just a rough chop, they will be discarded later. Cook that for about an hour or so. Remove the chicken and set aside to cool a bit. Strain the broth and return it to the stove, chuck the veggies. Add fresh chopped onions, celery and carrots, cook that until veggies are tender. Once the chicken is cool enough to handle, remove all of the meat from the bones, chop up and return to the pot. Give the broth a taste, you will probably need salt and pepper, and maybe even a boullion cube or two for more flavor....then, depending on how much soup you have, add the egg noodles...for a giant pot, I used about 1/2 a bag or so, my kids love the noodles...I make a huge pot and portion off and freeze...GL!
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 11:26 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Cook your pasta first, then it won't soak up so much of your broth.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:46 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• You're adding too much pasta.

Cut the pasta amount by 1/2 (at least). Cook the pasta separate and add to the soup once it's fully cooked.
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 1:23 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I use egg noodles. I cook the noodles separately and only add them when we eat it. Otherwise the noodles get too soggy.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 1:32 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I just boil my chicken and spices then add my noodles. I've never had a problem but I put in plenty of water.

Answer by admckenzie at 7:24 PM on Dec. 28, 2010