what are the winter blues?

I get moody and depressed.I do not go any where or want to be around too many people.What is wrong with me? most of the time just want to be left alone period.Then i have moments where i just want to sleep all day.

miklu

Asked by miklu at 11:01 AM on Dec. 28, 2010 in Health

• http://www.wikihow.com/Fight-Winter-Blues, this might help!

Answer by older at 11:05 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• S.A.D.= aeasonal affective disorder is a common problem in the winter. Especially in places where snow is plentiful and sunshine is a minimum. It is caused by chemical changes in our system due to lack of sunlight. There is less sunlight in general in the winter. Factor in shorter days, longer nights and less intense sun altogether and you get SAD. Years ago Dr's used to tell people to get 'sun lamps" and use them 10-15 minutes a day. They don't recommend that anymore due to UV rays. Get outside as often as possible. Open drapes/cutains. Sit by windows when it is bright. Speak to your Dr if you see no improvement or feel worse.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 11:08 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Take some vitamin D, too.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 11:09 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I think it's when the weather is so dark and gloomy for so long, and you're stuck indoors for the most part it starts becoming depressing. Ironically, I'm completely opposite lol. I'm at my best when the weather is grey, and I get sick of the sun!
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 11:18 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• In addition to combating Seasonal Affective Disorder (along with installing full spectrum lights) Vitamin D has been shown to be terribly effective in fighting off the flu. See Journal of Virology, On the epidemiology of influenza (http://www.virologyj.com/content/5/1/29)
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 11:25 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• The winter blues is a seasonal condition caused by the lack of sunlight. Are you depressed all the time or just this time of year? You might want to seek medical help if your depression interfers with your life.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 1:37 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Just get yourself snug as a bug in a rug,and think of all the good things you have ,health ect.You can take yourself out of a mood as fast as you put yourself into one.Its called being a woman.We are alot more moody and dwell on way too much.I find doing something i always wanted to do helps .Be it cleaning your house or painting your mood on a canvas.Any outlet,home or out just do it,make yourself help yourself.depression is too common during the holidays.Start that project,sew new pillows,do a mural on a wall.Or my favorite go junking!Going to flea markets helps me.And staying in getting through all that stuff you have hiding around that needs donated just do it.We all waller in self pity ,its a fact but you don't have to drown,too much to do too much to see.Go to a play,movie ,donate time anywhere.Try not to introvert yourself.And always try to be positive.
    grismelda

Answer by grismelda at 4:16 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I know of a lot of people that are like this and have SAD (seasonal affective disorder). I personally am more like this in the summer because I simply cannot tolerate the heat and get depressed when I cannot be outside much at all.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 5:01 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• i get like that most of the winter. i hate winter and i hate being even the slightest bit cold. it takes alot for me to peel myself out of my bed in the mornings when its 10 degrees and the wind and snow is blowing and get myself moving. sometimes i envy the animals that get to hibernate all winter long!!! lol
    shoot4thestars

Answer by shoot4thestars at 11:10 PM on Dec. 28, 2010