Tylenol versus Motrin

I usually give my daughter infant or children's motrin as a pain reliever/fever reducer (she's 2). Because her pediatrician told me it was okay.

This morning I was reading Dr. Oz's column, who said that acetaminophen (Tylenol) is the only safe thing to give kids.

Anyone else hear this? Or does anyone think that Dr. Oz is full of BS with this recommendation?

CraftingMama

Asked by CraftingMama at 11:21 AM on Dec. 28, 2010 in General Parenting

• If it the safest thing the why everytime you turn around it is getting taken off the shelf? I always buy Motrin
    nicjon

Answer by nicjon at 11:24 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• The childrens got pulled off the shelf once and placed behind the pharmacy because older kids were using it for the effects. The tylenol.My doctor always said Tylenol. I watch Dr. OZ all the time,he knows his stuff. He is not BS.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 11:28 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Exactly! Well, I buy store brands anyway but I agree.
    CraftingMama

Comment by CraftingMama (original poster) at 11:28 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• its safer in the sense that it doesnt have Ibuprophen in it. Its been proved that it can causes liver damage but so can anything else we take over the counter. I give my chlidren both depending on how high their temp is. Plus honestly motrin has been pulled from shelves to due to recalls. My dr tells me to always buy the off brand because they typically do not get recalled. Which if you all noticed this last time when the pulled infant and toddler tylenol they pulled motrin to and they only brands you could get where the off brand or atleast here where i live.
    Jaxsmommy09

Answer by Jaxsmommy09 at 11:31 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I've never alternated before, but I remember reading about that in the Sears book I have. Truthfully, I find the infant ibuprofen much easier to accurately dose and give to my child, which is why I use it.
    CraftingMama

Comment by CraftingMama (original poster) at 11:31 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Jaxmommy: Tylenol in larger doses has been linked to kidney damage just like ibuprofen has. So basically nothing is safe.
    CraftingMama

Comment by CraftingMama (original poster) at 11:32 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• thats what i said there is nothing safe we can take over the counter that wont cause some sort of damage down the line.
    Jaxsmommy09

Answer by Jaxsmommy09 at 11:38 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Exactly. NOTHING is safe any more.
    CraftingMama

Comment by CraftingMama (original poster) at 11:52 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• If children are too young they can have an allergic reaction to motrin that can cause blindness (look it up) but if you have already given your child motrin and she took it well then she's fine. Also motrin does the job longer then tylenol and for that it's better especially because your child is 2. Kids obviously hate to take meds and so Motrin would be best in your case. Doctor Oz just wants to keep your kids safe. Oh and I'm a stay at home mom but I did get my Medical Assistant Degree, just so you know, you can trust me.
    nqmochafrappe

Answer by nqmochafrappe at 12:19 PM on Dec. 28, 2010