how can i break my 2yr old off of the sippy cup??

my daughter is 2 yrs old and she takes her sister sippy cup away from her and insists on one when she goes to bed. she also refuses to take a nap without a sippy and she will cry till we get tired of listening to her cry and give her a sippy cup. She doesnt get one cept for then. so what can i do to break her from it

tommygirlhend

Asked by tommygirlhend at 12:38 PM on Nov. 10, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My daughter is the same way. I just give it to her. I dont see why it should be an issue and if it helps why not? Just make sure that you mix water in with her juice so that she doesnt dehydrate herself. Otherwise just let it go. Its a comfort for her like other kids have a blankie or a binkie! :)
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 12:42 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• Just take it away it is that simple..Bottle...took away...did not miss...passie took away did not miss...
    Anonymous

• Just take it away. She's going to be irritable and cry a lot at first, but she will get over it.
    crdc91506

Answer by crdc91506 at 1:18 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• Why take it away? At night if she needs it for comfort, just put water in it. As for any other time are you ready for all the spills on your carpet? Actually, heehee, that was my main reason for letting my kids have the sippy cups for so long...mess management.
    MomShawn70

Answer by MomShawn70 at 2:34 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• Sorry, but you answered yourself, more or less, in your question: "She will cry til we get tired of listening to her cry and then give her a sippy cup." THAT is the reason she is still doing it. She's 2- tell her, "You're a big girl now and big girls drink out of big girl glasses/cups, just like Mommy! It's like when you became a big girl and starting sleeping in a big girl bed."If she's potty trained, use that, too- just reinforce the big girl concept with anything you can. Then, just take it away. Do not give in! If she cries about it for 20 minutes, go in and say, "I know you're upset but you're not getting the sippy. You are a big girl now. Now go to sleep like a big girl." Every 20 minutes until her nap time is over, keep doing it. Let her know she is not in charge; she does not make the rules- you do! And then prove it to her... It will only be bad for a few days.
    mommy2danica

Answer by mommy2danica at 3:42 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• i agree with mommy2danica. thats the same thing i did when i wanted my son off the sippy. then he got sneaky and started getting them himself so i threw them all out so there was no temptation of him wanting one. they do cry alot at first but eventually when they figure out your not gonna give in they kinda give up. but it does take longer for some then others
    memoryann121

Answer by memoryann121 at 12:41 AM on Nov. 12, 2008