Does everyone have a "choice?"

What I'm reading now...
http://thestir.cafemom.com/pregnancy/114299/stop_blaming_doctors_for_babies

Basically, husband has vasectomy, wife gets pregnant. Doctor didn't disclose all of the personal info in the procedure. They sue for the cost of raising the extra baby.

The blogger asserts that the woman had a choice to terminate the pregnancy. Do you feel that's true? Do people that believe religiously that abortion is wrong have the CHOICE to have one? I mean, if you honestly believe in the wrath of God, do you make the choice to commit what you feel is murder?
Does the fact that abortion is legal tread on this person's right to freedom of religion? (As abortion is being seen as viable option to giving birth and raising the baby, even though for this couple, it may not have been.)

Are pro choicers sometimes really insensitive to the beliefs of pro-lifers, even if they are in no way treading on the rights of others?

lovinangels

Asked by lovinangels at 11:23 AM on Dec. 28, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Generally speaking, I've found the Stir bloggers are not that bright and sorely lacking in common sense and sensitivity. I find that reflected not only in those who write for them, but also on the caliber of people who no longer blog for them - the reasonable ones are gone and have been replaced with more vapid ones.

You could just as easily argue they had a "choice" to put the baby up for adoption, but that doesn't mean it's a reasonable choice. Not that I think the writer in question really gives a damn - she's only interested in starting a fight so she gets more pageviews and her paycheck goes up.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:26 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I do love the giveaways though. I've won several, and there's something in my personality that begs to hear the opposing point of view.
    lovinangels

Comment by lovinangels (original poster) at 11:31 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• wow. that is a really good question on many levels. i will bump ya
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 11:41 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I don't think I've ever visited the Stir, guess I should since they are giving things away. for your question, I don't think that suing the doctor is right, after all, before my husband got a vasectomy we did research and knew what kind of procedure we wanted to have done (he is sniped, clamped and cauterized). No medical procedure is 100% guaranteed. As for the blogger claiming that that abortion is an alternative, that's just sad. I don't consider abortion (which to me is murder) an option in any case other than a life threatening pregnancy.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:41 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• We all do have a choice. Life happens and we have choices to make. These parents chose to look at the child as a burden they had to bare rather than a gift so they sued. I can't imagine the shitty life that kid will have because mom and dad didn't want them and felt so strongly about it they sued someone. Would have been better to abort or place the kid for adoption. They are choosing to be asshats.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:47 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Yes, the choice is still hers

and they shouldn't get ANY money. If you have sex there is a possibility of pregnancy, vasectomy is never 100% neither are tubals.

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 11:53 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I guess everyone does but I don't feel folks with religious convictions should be expected to choose abortion or anyone who believe it is murder.I don't agree with them sueing over this no BC method is 100% there are always exceptions and usually people are informed of this before these procedures are done.Also I agree with anonymous that it won't look good at all to this child later on..
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 12:00 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Does the fact that abortion is legal tread on this person's right to freedom of religion? (As abortion is being seen as viable option to giving birth and raising the baby, even though for this couple, it may not have been.)

No because no is forcing them to take that option. It's legal to own a gun, but against some religions. Should we loose that right just because some religious sect thinks it immoral to own one? 

Now, should they be suing the doctor for getting pregnant? Did they follow the doctor's recommendations after the vasectomy? Did they use protection until it was deemed safe to have unprotected sex? Would they sue the drug company or the condom company if they got pregnant using either of those? 

I feel sorry for the kid(s). 

SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 12:15 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• she's only interested in starting a fight so she gets more pageviews and her paycheck goes up.
    ...................................................................................................................

How do you get stuff?
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 12:21 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• If anything...the doctor should be sued for malpractice.

But yes...freedom of choice and freedom religion go hand in hand. If not just because you CHOOSE your religion...you do NOT choose to have a botched surgery.
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 12:41 PM on Dec. 28, 2010