What do you think?

If the main purpose of family court is to do "what is in the best interest of the child", if a child gets home sick while visiting the non custodial parent, should they get to go home?

JLS2388

Asked by JLS2388 at 11:24 AM on Dec. 28, 2010 in General Parenting

• No, they have to follow ruling, sometimes kids don't know what is good for them.

Answer by older at 11:26 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• really, so you feel that if a child misses a parent, they shouldn't get to see that parent? Well lets turn it around, what if the child is with the mom (custodial parent) and he says that he misses his dad, should the mom call the dad and see if he can spend some time with the child?
    JLS2388

Comment by JLS2388 (original poster) at 11:29 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• No
    It is understandable that a child might miss the other parent, but the custodial parent should be instrumental in helping the child through that and encourage the child to continue their visit.
    I miss my son like crazy when he is with his father for extended periods and I know he misses me, but it is also in the best interest of my son to spend time with his father. His father does not do anything that is detrimental to our son's health and he has a right to see our son.
    Yes, I think the man is a jack ass, but what I think doesn't matter, what matters is the fact that he is capable of taking care of our child and the fact that he will not put our child in danger.

layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 11:30 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• If the non custodial parent does everything that can be done, to me there is no reason to take the child out of there home for that period of time.
    lylahsmommy2010

Answer by lylahsmommy2010 at 11:31 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I ask because my dd HATES going over to her dad's house. She just misses me. Everytime she goes she cries for me until finally, he just brings her home (he usually just sits her in front of the tv the entire visit anyway) I was just wondering how other people handle it.
    JLS2388

Comment by JLS2388 (original poster) at 11:35 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Does she tell you why she hates it there?

Do you encourage her to make the best of it at her dad's house?
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 11:41 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Well, she said he doesn't do things like mommy. He is hispanic and I am white. He is trying to make her like hispanic things. All he lets her watch on tv are Dora the Explorer, Go Deago Go and Handy Manny. All the these shows she hates. She doesn't watch them with me, She like show like Little Einstines and Whinnie the Pooh and ANYTHING Disney Princess. She is used to eating things like mac and cheese or PB&J or grild cheese for lunch, he will only serve her things like beans and rice, which she is not used to. Plus they speak spanish to and around her (which she doesn't even bit understand) so she gets confused and frustrated. The other thing is, his mother keeps trying to hug and kiss her the whole time, she doesn't like his mom and doesn't want her to but they feel like she doesn't have the right to say no to hugs and kisses from them.
    JLS2388

Comment by JLS2388 (original poster) at 11:49 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• she said he doesn't do things like mommy
    ____________

He isn't mommy. And he never will be. I know how hard it is when your little one is with their father, but part of your job is to facilitate the transitions and encourage her to give her father's family a chance. Good luck.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 12:03 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• It sounds to me like you have a problem with your husbands culture. I find this very offensive since most people would encourage their children to learn about their families. You know that she is a bit of both of you right? What's wrong with her being pushed a little to learn where she comes from? It actually sounds like you are encouraging her to hate his whole side of the family, I mean really, you and your daughter have a problem with hugs and kisses?! Did you ever think that maybe he's bombarding her with all things hispanic because you refuse to help her recognize she's part of that? You can't cut that out of her and the whole kids tv thing, all dads do that. My husband is still my husband and he doesn't know what to do with our daughter except pop in an elmo dvd when she gets fussy. Sounds like you both need to talk about what your daughter needs and meet half ways this is about her not him.
    nqmochafrappe

Answer by nqmochafrappe at 12:12 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• EX'S, EX'S, I NEVER MARRIED HIM! LOL She doesnt' watch those shows because she only gets 1 hour of tv per day so I let her chose what to watch. I don't push her one way or the other, he is the one pushing. As far as food, I serve her the food that most kids get, the foods that I got when I was her age. If he wanted her to be raised like a hispanic child, he should have knocked up a hispanic girl. I raise her the way I know how, also, he is the one that chose a job that would mean his is not around very much. I teach her about my family, I don't know much about his family, that is HIS job. I don't think she should be forced to watch 8 HOURS of dora the explorer and eat food that she doesn't like and is not used to. As far as hugs and kissed go, if someone doesn't want to be hugged or kissed, they should have the right to say no, especially when it is someone they hardly know.
    JLS2388

Comment by JLS2388 (original poster) at 12:22 PM on Dec. 28, 2010