"Consorting with Whores" (Thoughts?) adult content

Consorting with Whores

by Ligonier Ministries on Friday, December 17, 2010 at 12:30pm

That there is a deep and profound chasm that separates believing in the total depravity of man and our own understanding of the depth and scope of our own sin is a potent sign of the depth and scope of our own sin. “Total depravity” is a true and sound biblical doctrine about how the fall has impacted mankind. We are sinful in every part of our being and utterly unable, precisely because we are unwilling, to embrace the work of Christ on our behalf unless He changes us first. Because we are totally depraved, however, we see this as a doctrine about man, rather than an actual self-description. We distinguish between the problems of “man” and our own problems. It is safe to speak ill of man, but dangerous and sad business to look too closely into our own hearts of darkness. So instead we think ourselves as partaking in a general sense of this depravity thing, but see it manifest in our own lives in nice, clean ways. We have a high view of God’s holiness, of His law, and so confess with all due piety that we are sinners indeed, rebels against the living God, in a nice, clean, abstract sort of way.

The living God, however, has a far more accurate and potent picture of what we are. We are whores. We are shameless, self-degrading, crass and crude. We throw ourselves at strangers, selling our dignity for cash. Worse still, after He has redeemed us, washed us, even married us, we go back for more. We turn tricks before the all-seeing eyes of a Husband who suffered hell for us. Again He comes and washes us. He holds us. He confesses His love for us. He promises He will never leave us. He makes us new again.

But because we are still proud, we parade around in the beautiful gown with which He has covered us, suggesting that it surely had a few spots, a wrinkle or two on it before He found us.  But they were nice, respectable spots and wrinkles. What we should be confessing is that it was once stained through with our whoredom. The joy of the Lord is not that He took we who were mostly clean and made us wholly clean. The joy of the Lord isn’t that because He worked in us no one needs to know our former shame. The joy of the Lord is that while we were out walking the streets He came for us. While others paid to pollute us, He paid to redeem us.

Our Father told us a story so that we would know what we are. He gave us a prophet, Hosea. And we, sinners that we are, instead of confessing to being Gomer, thought He was telling us to be more like Hosea. “Oh,” we humbly confess, “we should be so much more compassionate towards the really bad people. Please forgive us for not being more loving toward the unseemly ones of this world.” The truth is He is confessing that we are the unseemly ones. That’s what we are, the people Jesus died for and married, the people adopted and loved of the Father, the people indwelt and being cleansed by the Spirit — God in three persons, consorting with such as we.

-Eilish-

Asked by -Eilish- at 11:35 AM on Dec. 28, 2010 in Religious Debate

• What many don't understand is we have fallen into the same trap the Israelites fell into all throughout the OT. They knew that they were ( and still are ) the promised Children of God. Many times they turned their backs on him by believing they could do whatever they wanted because of the first Convenant. Only God's mercy and the love of a few faithful were they spared many times. We also have fallen into the once saved always saved. We're good to go because at one time our garment was washed cleaned. We believe we are scotch guarded and nothing can touch us. Except our own little failings can. The ones we don't noticed until it's too late. Christ addressed this many times. Lambs, Goats for instance. Paul more then once confessed that he is sinful as we all are. That we need to confess our sins daily. 1John 2 also addresses this as most of the letters do. It's not sad it's Beautiful once you fully understand.
    oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 7:38 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• This article is exactly why I wanted to leave Christianity. Fortunately, not all Christians think this way. We are human, that is true. However I don't see humaity the same way the writer does, and I don't think God does either.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 1:16 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Sorry, I couldn't make it past the first paragraph without being offended so I can't give a good opinion on it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:36 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I couldn't make it thorough the first paragraph without laughing...... This person has a very bad opinion of humanity.... I really fdeel sorry for them that they cannot see the kindness and wonderful things people are capable of.
    Piskie

Answer by Piskie at 12:36 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• LOL, I am not a whore, literally or figuratively & I don't care which God tries to say otherwise.

Honestly, I find this to be a very sad way to view humanity & oneself. I can't imagine thinking of myself in such a disgusting unworthy way. It's seems really unhealthy that a God would create people who would to come to be so pathetic & worthless that they have no choice but, to cling to him. It's seems so selfish & insecure.
    BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 1:06 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I couldn't hardly read this... first of all its really going to push more people who God wants to draw to Him away, secondly, I am a strong believer of Grace and the Message of the Cross and God does not see us as ANYTHING but His Precious and Beautiful Children. As a Christian I am living the life of a free Daughter of the King whom He loves and adores. I do not live in what I used to be for it is HIS grace that says I am free and yes I may mess up but the focus is not on what I have done wrong but on where I will go in my walk with Him. I am a believer in encouraging the body of Christ and not tearing them down. The first part of the post made me sad and sick because it tears down His beloveds.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 1:58 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Define "depravity".

beeky

Answer by beeky at 1:10 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Do you ever wonder , oldermom why many Christians walk away? Its because of that kind of mindset you just spoke of. Its not a correct mindset. We are no longer like that because we have accepted Christ. The problem is many Christians do not know it and still strive to be good when Jesus already took care of that.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 5:49 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I feel soooo sorry for you, Eilish! How painful it must be (and I should know) to be told that you are a member of the family of god and in the same breath be told how worthless and sinful and filthy you are in your god's eyes. What a hateful post this is!! Written by a man, obviously. I can't believe I am agreeing with Shan one this. You ARE precious. You ARE deserving of love, NOT this vile venom. You are the living embodiment of the godforce and you have done nothing to deserve this vicious diatribe!! I am truly sorry for your sake, and for every woman--or human--who actually believes this piece of tripe to be the truth.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 8:36 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• "We are whores. We are shameless, self-degrading, crass and crude. We throw ourselves at strangers, selling our dignity for cash. Worse still, after He has redeemed us, washed us, even married us, we go back for more"

I CANNOT imagine going through life with these thoughts in my head!!! I cannot imagine believing that the supposed god who made me, WANTS me to believe this. This is very sad. What a shame that people fall so easily on their knees to beg forgiveness, for nothing.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 8:45 PM on Dec. 28, 2010