Baby rice cereal?

I bought some rice cereal to put into my almost 3 month old's night time breastmilk bottle, hoping it would help him sleep a bit longer in between feedings. (He's still nursing about every 2-3 hours! Its exhausting!) BUT, I grabbed the wrong kind I think. I bought rice cereal for a supported sitter. Now, my son does sit up very well in his bumbo chair, or if we are sitting him on the ground and just barely holding his hands.... so would it be okay to go ahead and give him this kind of rice cereal??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:56 AM on Dec. 28, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Talk to your ped before introducing anything other than formula or breast milk most will tell you to wait until 4 months or older.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 11:58 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• DO NOT put cereal in your child's bottle unless your pediatrician says it's okay. Cereal won't make him sleep better anyway.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 11:58 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Rice Cereal in a Bottle is a CHOCKING hazard and doesn't make babies sleep any better it's a old wives tale
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 11:59 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• all cereal is for supported sitters and "up" 3 months is too young for that....that's part of being a mommy, alot of feedings and loss of sleep
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 12:08 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Well for some unknown reasons, babies of this generation (not mine or my kids) seem to chocke if rice is put into a bottle. Also it is not recomeneded to give your child anything but breast milk or formula till the age of 4 months.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 12:12 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Well I am from different generation. I put about a teaspoon of rice cereal in all my babies bottles when they were 2 months old and they all slept thru the night once I did that. I consider 7-8 hours sleeping as thru the night! None of them ever choked on it and I gradually increased the amount until they actually ate the cereal/formula combo out of the special little bottle made for cereal feeding thru a nipple by about 4 months. DS #1 was a preemie but other kids all bigger babies. They all did fine with this and I did not ask Dr. about it. I personally think it would be fine but some will be upset with my reply. My sil followed Dr. religiously and fed her boys rice cereal made with apple juice and mixed with peas and served cold and wondered why they wouldn't eat. I separated cereal and peas and warmed all and they ate everything up when I watched them. I just said they ate all, I never said why. My DD is 4 now btw.
    Mim4

Answer by Mim4 at 3:09 PM on Dec. 28, 2010