Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

bummed out. ******UPDATE! [in pink].

i bought a great dane about a year and a half  ago, for my family [bought him, the month before my daughter was born] , he was a pup, well he hasn't been able to hold any food down for about 2 months, he has been hospitalized twice cos i couldn't bare seeing him sick...well i finally got a chance to do 'exploratory surgery' on him, and it cost me 1700 dollars...found out he has 'schnount' [sp??] a type of liver malformation/disorder and that requires surgery that will cost me an arm and a leg...i'm wondering what everyone thinks i should do...i feel like if i keep him around any longer it's just being selfish...he's an amazing dog, we named him charlie, and my daughter [21 months] calls him chulz. :/ anyway, he's like her best friend...i kinda want to try saving for surgery, but i don't want him suffering cos he is a great boy. my ex said he'll pitch money forth but i feel like im asking so much...



so my mother and grandmother have helped to pitch in, the surgery can be up to 5,000 dollars,but we all think for charlie's life and age, it'll be worth it...and for my daughter , it'll be worth it. vet is scheduling to see charlie and look at his vitals and stats sometime soon, i will keep all posted! thank you!!! i may post a journal, so feel free to friend invite me, if you want updates. <3

Answer Question

Asked by Cowbell88 at 12:08 PM on Dec. 28, 2010 in Pets

Level 14 (1,793 Credits)
Answers (18)
  • Your vet may be able to discount the surgery if he/she knows you have financial hardship. The other thing they can do is set up a payment plan. Much luck to you, it's so hard, isn't it?

    Answer by amybaby_19 at 12:10 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

  • What does the vet suggest?

    Answer by zebbiebug at 12:11 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

  • If you can save up I would!

    Answer by kiansmom0423 at 12:11 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

  • it is, i feel like he's my son lol. i honestly can't even imagine the day i might have to take him in to basically have him put down, how will i explain that to a almost 2 yr old? she won't's just so much...cos she always runs right in and says PUPPY! when her daddy drops her off, not 'mommy' or 'ryan [my boyfriend]' but 'chulz' or 'puppy'...i can't even imagine...i just don't want to be selfish cos i see him know that 'look' dogs have when they're just not 'themselves' anymore.

    Comment by Cowbell88 (original poster) at 12:13 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

  • zebbiebug, vet suggested the exploratory surg. then from there diagnosed him, she didn't say much as far as what she thinks, but mostly
    this is the cost and its your choice, or we'll talk euthanasia. :/
    and kiansmom, i want to so badly!

    Comment by Cowbell88 (original poster) at 12:14 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

  • I would ask the vet (and research online the surgergy) what kind of outcome usually happens after the surgery. I recently had to put my dog down. She had cancer and they removed the tumor and it grew back rapidly and they said we could do another surgery and then chemo but after researching and talking with the vet the end result was going to be the same she was going to have the cancer at that point I had to make the worst decision but I didn't feel it was right to have her suffer when I couldn't cure her. So, first, find out what will happen after surgery will he be back to normal and be fine? Or will it be something that will/could come back and keep affecting him. I am sorry you have to go through this. It sucks, I know.

    Answer by sue118 at 12:23 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

  • thanks sue, it definitely does, i feel horrible, crying all day today, paity [daughter] doesn't understand , i have to tell her 'charlie is just not feeling good right now' you know? and she just thinks he's got 'beetlebugs' [she calls the bug, beetlebugs] :/
    thats a good idea though, ithink ill do that while paiton naps.

    Comment by Cowbell88 (original poster) at 12:28 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

  • If this surgery can fix the problem then I think you should go for it.

    Answer by KyliesMom5 at 12:43 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

    so i called my mom about 70 times today in tears, trying to explain the situation. well she talked to my grandmother, who isn't hurting cash wise and my grandmother and my mother are going to pitch in, and consider that my 'late xmas' im hoping for the best.... :/

    Comment by Cowbell88 (original poster) at 12:44 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

  • That is great, you are lucky to have people like that in your life. I would still check into the prognosis though, just to be sure it is something that will help get him back to a place where he is happy and health. Good luck I hope it all works out for you!

    Answer by sue118 at 1:07 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in Pets
Scratching post?

Next question overall (General Parenting)
Postpartum depression