My mother only gives my kids presents to keep at her house.

Why is it that every birthday and Christmas present my mom buys my kids they have to leave at her house? Its not like she doesn't have toys for them over there and we don't go over there every day or even every week. My kids get upset and she still says they have to stay.

aheuszel

Asked by aheuszel at 12:18 PM on Dec. 28, 2010 in General Parenting

• is she afraid you will get ride of them? or is she just making sure they come and visit her?
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 12:20 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• My kids have an aunt who used to do the same thing. The kids would get really upset. I told her how upset they were getting and she now allows them to bring them home. If she hadn't changed her mind after discussing it with her I was going to do the very same thing to her. I was going to give her some clothes and then tell her she could only wear them while at our house. I know it would not have gone over well.
    zebbiebug

Answer by zebbiebug at 12:23 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• It is her wish. Ask her and explain that the kids would like to take them home. If she insists, that is okay. Somethings I have kept at our house. They are less likely to get lost and broke. There are somethings that are purchased specifically for us to use with the grandkids.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 12:23 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Present with conditions, what the hell is that?

Answer by older at 12:23 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• My ex does that with my dd. She only sees him once a month and she has to keep everything he gives her there.
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 12:25 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Wow, then that is NOT A GIFT is it? I would ask her why she does this and then if I didn't like the answer I would tell her not to bother buying the kids gifts or maybe you could make her come to your house and then the gifts would be there and she'd have to leave them or maybe you could do the same thing to her buy her a gift and then say but you can only use it at my house. That's just messed up
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 12:27 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• No disrespect but I would tell her that it's not okay and that she shouldn't be upsetting the kids like that. If she can't give them something that they can at least take home then she shouldn't buy them anything at all. That's so wrong!
    kewi86

Answer by kewi86 at 6:54 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• She does this every year but this year my son is having a hard time with it. I feel like if she wants it to stay at her house she shouldn't buy it as a Birthday or Christmas gift she should just buy it and say I have a suprise for you at my house.
    I'm so afraid to talk to her about it because we don't have a great relationship and never have. I just don't want to mess her relationship up with my kids as she has done for us.
    aheuszel

Comment by aheuszel (original poster) at 7:35 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• i wish ppl would keep there gifts at there house gives the kids a reason to go over there and a reason to have a less of a mess at my house lol ( although it makes no sense to give them a gift an say ok when i see u in a month u can play with it )
    premiemom18

Answer by premiemom18 at 2:22 AM on Dec. 29, 2010