how much do you spend?

On groceries a month? What state do you live in? I know its none of my business, but I'm curious. I usually spend about $300 to feed 3 people, sometimes more (up to $400) and I use coupons and shop at the cheapest stores around. I live in Virginia where the cost of living is relatively low and I feel like I spend too much. I cook from scratch as often as I can, I try to freeze leftovers to have later, I compare prices between 4 stores and often end up shopping at 3-4 stores per shopping trip. I shop 2x a month and plan my driving route, and I make a list of meal options (basically a menu only without assigned days). I even shop in my pantry before I shop at the store, I try to plan my meals around what I already have to work with and around a few main ingrediants, so I'm not buying a bunch of random things (ex. I use the chicken left over from one meal to make another meal and freeze it to eat later, and I save the broth for soup) I am doing everything I know to do. Am I alone in thinking food prices are ridiculous? Am I doing it wrong? How do you do it?

chipper87

Asked by chipper87 at 12:25 PM on Dec. 28, 2010 in Money & Work

• ca... I dont keep track but somewhere between 500-700 depending on if we have any dinner parties.
    Anonymous

• With my 3 yr old and 1 yr old I would say about $200-$300 a month. Depending on what I decide to cook
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 12:26 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• about $600, WI

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 12:26 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I live in Alabama. I spend about 500-600$ a month for a family of 5.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 12:28 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Food prices are riduculous. They keep going up and up while our salaries stay the same or drop. I only buy what we need, use coupons, take advantage of sales.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 12:31 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I live in S Central PA.
    We spend anywhere between 200 - 400 per month. I have a step son that we get every other weekend.
    Now, I do have to say that my hubby is a chef and cooks VERY good stuff. We do have plenty of left overs and freeze as much as we can. We've also started canning this year.
    MrsDAP

Answer by MrsDAP at 12:32 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I live in Virginia. I spend around 250 to feed a family of 4. I do not use coupons or pay attention to sales.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 12:33 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I llive in Miami, I spend about 250 each week for groceries, and a few more dollars for the in between things, I buy for 4 of us right now. So I would say $1000.00 a month for all of us. I use to be able to do with a 100. a week, but not anymore!

Answer by older at 12:35 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• i spend around 150 a week. i hate it. my dh eats more then a normal person lol his dinner serving is like 2 servings. pluse i need to make alot so he has lunch left overs. and everyother weekend his 2 dd's are over so theres more juice food snacks ( they dont eat much when there w/ there mom i have been told ) and between the kids and my dh we will go threw 2 to 3 gals of milk in a weekend alone. i have said something to my dh to calm down on the milk hes a huge milk drinker. i use coupons also. my dh use to ask what i spent on food told him and he was in shock but he saw between him and prices thats how it was. good bless the buy 1 get 1 free or 10 things for 10.00 lol i live in N.H. and i cook 6 days a week. also will mention full time there are 2 kids ages 13 and 4. and his 2 kids like to be here alot so instead of going home on sun night they stay ( we live 3 mins from them ) i am trying to cut down on the food bill.
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 12:35 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• ashisamom- IS that a week or month month no coupons.
    Anonymous