How can I get my 2 year old to move forward with potty training?

This summer she was doing great. She was letting me know when she needed to go and having very few accidents. When she went back to school in August, no one else in her class was potty training and she completely regressed. I am taking the holdiay to work with her but she is not interested. She doesn't care if she wets her pants and won't poop in the potty. I just don't know what to do. She is 2 and a half.
I have been giving M&M's when she goes. But I have to prompt her to go...she never tells me it's time and she still has very wet pull-ups when she wakes up each morning.
Any ideas?

copelkl

Asked by copelkl at 12:33 PM on Dec. 28, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• She may just not be ready yet. My daughter was 3 1/2 and she basically trained herself at that time. It's not worth stressing over. She stayed dry at night about 3 days after announcing she wanted to wear underpants during the day. We have had a night time accident every now and then but that's to be expected. Being "trained" over the summer when you're there to monitor all the time is not the same as being an independent potty user. I sometimes think it's the parent that's trained not the child. I had a mom with a daughter 6 days older than mine that claimed her daughter was potty trained at 12 months because mom could read the signs and hold her over the potty at the appropriate time. That to me is not potty trained. I know my daughter was not physically capable of being independent in the bathroom until she was 3 1/2. Good luck and don't stress about it.
    Mim4

Answer by Mim4 at 12:56 PM on Dec. 28, 2010