Teeth Cleaning for Dogs

We occasionally brush our dogs' teeth but we've never taken them to the vet for a professional cleaning. What is your experience; do you recommend that we do take them in? I've heard that it is very expensive and they have to put the dog under heavy medications.....

Sbrady8208

Asked by Sbrady8208 at 12:57 PM on Dec. 28, 2010 in Pets

• I do believe that they put them under for that and it is expensive. I think if you are able to brush his teeth and do a good job that should be sufficient. I never had my dog's teeth brushed by the vet or me (she is 17) I wish I had because the worse thing about her is her breath! And of course the vet says she has gingivitis. But I think if you are cleaning them that should be enough.
    sue118

Answer by sue118 at 1:10 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Actually, the sedation for dentals is lighter then an actual surgery. I have my animals done when it is needed. My cat just had to have 4 teeth pulled during a dental and my youngest dog had to have his puppy teeth pulled the same day. My cat was in a lot of pain before the dental because of her teeth and is now feeling better. It can get expesive depending on the size of the dog and if there are any extractions. But it is worth doing.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 1:29 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I just brush their teeth. I don't do it everyday. I try to about twice a week.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 1:30 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I have raised and bred dogs all my adult life (I am 53) I have always done my dogs teeth at home. Would never use vet because of the sedation effects.
    horsegal2760

Answer by horsegal2760 at 3:13 PM on Dec. 28, 2010