Lying in a resume about military service?

I know someone who has NEVER been in any branch of our military. Yet he advertises military service on his resume and a web page for work! This makes me so angry because there are so many wonderful men and women who have and are serving our country.

Is this even legal? Is there someone I can call to report this?

Noosa

Asked by Noosa at 12:59 PM on Dec. 28, 2010 in Money & Work

• Jenny-talia

The Stolen Valor Act was declared unconstitutional.

The reason?

In a 2-to-1 ruling, the appellate court said that if the law were held constitutional, many everyday lies could become criminal acts. “There would be no constitutional bar to criminalizing lying about one’s height, weight, age, or financial status on Match.com or Facebook, or falsely representing to one’s mother that one does not smoke, drink alcoholic beverages, is a virgin, or has not exceeded the speed limit while driving on the freeway,” Judge Milan D. Smith, Jr., wrote for the majority. “The sad fact is, most people lie about some aspects of their lives from time to time.”

More here

http://atwar.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/08/18/stolen-valor-act-is-declared-unconstitutional-by-circuit-court/

layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 1:08 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• No, it is illegal. At least I'm pretty sure it is.
    Google 'stolen valor legislation'. I think that's what they call it.
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 1:03 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I dont know if its legal or not but that person should a ashamed of themselves
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 1:02 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Its not illegal to lie on your resume, however lying about being in the military is very upsetting.
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 1:02 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• While it's horrible, it is not illegal.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 1:04 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Wow, have you ever confronted this person?
    Andriya

Answer by Andriya at 1:05 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• thats a hard one. ask him what branch he was in. i honestly have no clue. sorry but i do know a women who decided to be a marine and she applided lied and said she had 1 child ( she had 2 ) and they said your husband also needs to sign this form saying its ok and she had a male friend impose as her dh. just before boot camp the found out she in fact had 2 kids and wasent her husband who signed she was dishonarable dischrge. too bad nothing more it was all about her not the kids the husband shouldve gotton a clue when she watched GI JANE over and over again. to me to lie about getting in or lie about being in is really sad and disrespectful.
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 1:06 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Unfortunately it is not illegal.... I agree that it is horrible tho.
    bellsandheels

Answer by bellsandheels at 1:11 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• That's so wrong!
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 11:18 PM on Dec. 28, 2010