How long do you wait until you take your child out of the crib if they dont stop crying, babbling etc.. after you put them down for a nap & they won't go to sleep?

FRANCINE818

Asked by FRANCINE818 at 12:46 PM on Nov. 10, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You just know. Ive done it and as soon as my dd starting whining and rubbing her eyes she went right back in! :) GL
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 12:49 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• I pick her up and rock her until she sleeps and then lay her down and cover her up but my BD will let her fuss for up to 10 mins sometimes and she generally sleeps more for him so...whatever works for you.
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 12:51 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• It just depends. If my daughter is screaming at the top of her lungs I wont let that go on too long, but if she is just babbling and what not, trying to stay awake, then I will let her keep going until she tires herself out and falls asleep.
    nkkk07

Answer by nkkk07 at 12:53 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• I wait an hour - Although I do the cry it out method - I also read the book called Healthy sleep habits, happy child and it seems to be working with my son - its usually his second nap that we have trouble with - last thursday he played, whined and cried the whole hour - but I leave him in there the whole hour - then keep him up til his bedtime or a little earlier - he's a child who NEEDS a routine and schedule though..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:08 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• i dont let my son fuss more than 30 min... he will puke himself otherwise...
    navywifemomkoch

Answer by navywifemomkoch at 1:19 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• At most I don't go more than 3 minutes. Thankfully, my daughter doesn't cry for very long. She's amazing. The first time I tried laying her down drowsy and not awake, a few months ago, she was alseep within 10 mins.

Now, there are two types of cries. One where she quickly loses steam (within a minute) and lays down and falls asleep (in 2 to 10 minutes), and the other where she gets more and more distressed and I can tell she is only going to continue to get more upset and not calm down.

I do a 'modified CIO.' Yes, I will let her cry. But, if she is getting more upset instead of less upset, I will take her out. It varies how I calm her back down (BF, rocking, singing, back patting, etc), then I put her back in and she usually switches to a short crying session that quickly resolves and turns into sleeping.

She is pretty easy. I am grateful.
    1mamalissa

Answer by 1mamalissa at 1:33 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• It really depends on your child and how she responds to all the different ways to soothe her to sleep.
    My daughter would never fall asleep in my arms - not even as a newborn, certainly not as a toddler. I had such wonderful, dreamy images of gently rocking her to sleep when I was pregnant with her. Sigh.
    If I go in after just a few minutes of screaming all she does is get even more worked up and scream all the louder while I try to quiet her. It also quickly taught her to do the same trick at night and soon it was taking over 2 hours to get her to fall asleep in the evening. Her behavior in the day time was awful because she was so tired from this "kind" method.
    In the end, I have to put her down, look at the clock, and go back in an hour. If she's asleep, I leave her until she wakes, if she's awake, I get her up and try again in an hour. If she still doesn't sleep, she goes to bed a little bit early that day.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 1:58 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• Like someone else noted, there are a couple kinds of cries. My daughter has one she does when I put her to bed which sounds more or less like working off extra energy- almost like us tossing and turning; we're tired, but sleep is not immediate. The other she does for Daddy- it escalates because she knows if she sounds "real, real upset" Daddy will save her. I sentenced him last night to a straight week of putting her to bed the way I do so she figures out that it's the same either way! lol See if it's different routines that cause it, different people, different cuddly object, etc. My daughter has to have her music turned on, her dolly, be tucked into her blanket, read to (one small book), then kissed, then lights out. Naptime, no book. She SOMETIMES whines at me but she is resigned to OUR routine. You'll get one, too.
    mommy2danica

Answer by mommy2danica at 3:31 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• I usually do about 15 minutes or so. She's usually out in 5, so if it's longer than that I know somethings up.
    ferdo0204

Answer by ferdo0204 at 4:11 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• When I put my son in his crib, for naps or just a time out, I let him talk to himself, sing and do anything he wants. I think that crib time doesnt have to be sleeping time. If your child wants to play while they are up there, why not? Thier room is more than just a place to sleep. If the baby isnt tired, as long as their not screaming, than they are fine.
    notforgotten

Answer by notforgotten at 6:11 PM on Nov. 10, 2008