How can i set rule for 14 years old with add?

Like bed time, playing time, homework, dinner, chore.....I am a single mother. My son take 36 mg concerta. should i expect from him like the other kids without add.. sorry my english is poor. please help. thanks

lovely04

Asked by lovely04 at 1:37 PM on Dec. 28, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Set them together. I know Add is a difficult thing. However if he doesn't have rules and such it will do more harm than good. Especially since he's on meds for it.
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 1:39 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• personally I'd have a sit down w/ the dr or therapist who prescribed the meds and go over together what you can reasonably expect from your son, depending on how bad his add is, what can you reasonably get him to do without it being too overwhelming.

at the very least his personal space, homework, and personal care should be done by him. IE his own dishes, laundry, etc
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 3:48 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Do NOT let him use the ADD for any excuse not to do something. My son is 14 and has ADD, he still has and has always had rules, consequences and schedules to follow. Treat him just like any other kid. Just break chores into smaller steps. It is easier for kids with ADD to do smaller chores than one big one. He will need more reminders of what needs to be done...more patience..and don't yell, it doesn't work.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:45 PM on Dec. 28, 2010