Nightly Crier

My almost 6month old has been doing well for the most part. He has more than enough fat on him to where the doctor said to start weening him of night time feedings(he doesn't need them he just wants it for comfort) He's seeming to be doing fine with that, he only wakes up once during the night now and I feed him then. For the past 3 or 4 nights around 11pm, he starts crying. He's extremely tired, he cries with his eyes closed and does that pitiful "I'm tired!" cry but it has an added tone I don't recognize. He's not hungry (tried feeding him and it doesn't help) and he's not wet. He seems fine if he's being held (even if we hold him in the cradle position). Eventually, he falls asleep and stays asleep. He never used to do this he has good self soothing techniques and has always been able to soothe himself to sleep. Has anyone else had this happen? What is going on?

alinker

Asked by alinker at 1:43 PM on Dec. 28, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Could be starting to get teeth, try giving him some tylenol or teething tablets and see if that helps. -
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:46 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• might be teething
    Patience909

Answer by Patience909 at 1:50 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Is he waking up at that 11 p.m. time and crying, or is that when you put him to bed?? It sounds like he is overtired - but if he is waking up, I don't know??

Just to warn you - 6 months is awfully young to wean from nighttime feedings. It's good to hear you are still feeding once at night, but it is likely to increase when he is sick or goes through another growth spurt. I have never attempted to wean mine of nighttime until they are over a year old. Then there are always exceptions.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 1:51 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Has he started to crawl or learned something new recently? Two of my sons would roll over and sit up in their cribs (in their sleep) shortly after they learned how when awake. This would wake them and they would cry. It took so long to get them back to sleep. In fact my 13 month old is still rolling over and sitting up in his sleep. It is really frustrating because he would sleep SO well if he would just stay prone at night. :D
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 1:55 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I wouldn't wean a six month old

Answer by admckenzie at 2:07 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Micheledo, he's been the size of a 12 month old since he was 4 months old (he was born at 6lbs 9oz) and continuing to get bigger. ((I think the pic of him in my kids' section is a more recent pic)That's why the doctor wants him weaned of nightly feedings. To the other question, we put him to bed between 8:30-and 9:30 so he's waking up and crying. It is possible he's teething, he's chewing and drooling a lot. After I try giving him motrin or tylenol he usually continues to cry for an hour to an hour and a half longer. Not sure how long it takes to kick in. I put on his music and light (baby einstein crib thingy) and give him his pacy which he'll suck on if I hold it in his mouth but will spit it out and start crying again if I take my hand away. He does roll over but even when he's not stuck in a corner he'll cry. :(
    alinker

Comment by alinker (original poster) at 2:08 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Have him checked for an ear infection.
    Anonymous

• I would definitely think it was an ear infection except he's fine during naps
    alinker

Comment by alinker (original poster) at 2:51 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• This is off topic - but are you breastfeeding? And if so, is the doctor comparing him to the growth of a breastfed baby? I have heard the charts are very different. My first and fourth children are our "Little Giants." They were in 12 month clothes at 6 months and wearing 2T at 12 months. They are both longer, but my fourth is chunky! I have read that is perfectly normal for a breastfed baby. Which if you are using formula, I understand it is different.

Your boys are absolutely adorable! I hope that he calms down for you soon, It is so rough watching a little one that is so upset and you can't do a thing for them. :(
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 3:01 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Yeah he'd breastfed. I'm not sure if the doctors here use breast fed and formula fed charts. I think they are just lumping them together. Vincenzo (the baby) is long AND a chunk!

I hope he calms down soon. He has his 6 month well baby check up in a week or 2.. I can ask about it then if he's still doing it
    alinker

Comment by alinker (original poster) at 3:04 PM on Dec. 28, 2010