Has anyone had to have their baby wear a helmet to reshape the baby's head?

My son has Brachycephaly which is severe flatness of the back of his head. I am just wondering if there are any other parents that have children with this and what their experience has been with their child wearing the helmet? I wondering about ages and how long it took? Thanks!

LuvBeinganAKMom

Asked by LuvBeinganAKMom at 1:49 PM on Dec. 28, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• no but my best friends middle daughter worn a helmet for a year because one side of her head was flat and appeared to be not growing at the same rate. she was 18 months getting it on and it was off in about a 15 months. She had a cute little pink on they decorated with stickers.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:50 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• My son had craniosynostosis, which is where the sutures in his head fused while in the womb. He had surgery then had to wear a helmet for a year to help with the reshaping. His helmet had animals on it and was very cute. He wore it 23 hours a day for a year and went to a specialist to get it shaved every two weeks to a month depending on how fast his head was changing. He was 4 months when he had his surgery.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 2:01 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Back in the olden days they used empty half gallon milk cartons to reshape a babies head. Many babies use those helmets. I've known some moms who have had to put them on their child

Answer by admckenzie at 2:06 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• My preemie grandson had to wear a Starband helmet for about 7 months when he was about 7 months old for the same reason plus his head was too round. He looked just like Charlie Brown comic fdigure, he was that rounded. My daughter was able to pick the design of the helmet (she chose outerspace design) and then got planet and star stickers to put on it. It caused a lot of stares when we first went out in public but then we got used to educating people who asked why he was wearing a helmet. For us, we were happier when people got the nerve to ask rather than just stare. He is now 5 yrs old and has the most beautifully shaped head. We were also very lucky in that she could not afford the helmet and Medicaid refused to pay for it so my company's president gave us the $1600 we needed to get the helmet. We are glad we insisted on having the helmet. horsegal2760@gmail.com email me offline if you want to know more...
    horsegal2760

Answer by horsegal2760 at 3:03 PM on Dec. 28, 2010