Kids ashamed of me.

I have three kids. I have seizures and they have gooten worse over the past few months. They are ashamed to go anywhere with me in case I might have one. I love my kids, but don't want to embarrass them. They don't even want their friends to come over anymore. They want to go to their house. Their ages are 10, 12 and 14. Any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:53 PM on Dec. 28, 2010 in General Parenting

• It's not like you're doing it on purpose. Maybe they're really scared but don't know how to express that?
    Anonymous

• Gosh, how terrible. I'm so sorry.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 1:55 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Are you getting any treatment? They do not understand. They just do not want to be different. Be patient and loving.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 1:56 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Dont think of it as them bein mean or ashamed of you. They just dont want to have to explain what's goin on and kids are goin to pick on them at school about it. If your seizures occur around the same time then offer to do stuff with them before that time. If they happen @ random them suggest you go places outside of town where they wont run into any kids they know. I think once your kids are older they will be more protective of you. Let them go to the dr with you and ask questions so they know more about what's going on. Once it warm up start by just doing stuff in the backyard or the park. Encourage them to read about seizures. It will get better.
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 2:00 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• They are at the stage where they get embarrased with their parents you need to sit them down and explain to them how life threatening and dangerous it is and let them know they can help you when you have one.. even if its just being there.. i think it scares them more than anything
    momof241988

Answer by momof241988 at 2:01 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I dont think they are ashamed of you, they love you no matter what. I think they are feeling scared in a public setting b/c you stated that the seizures are getting worse. Unless I had a full education on seizures I would probably feel the same way as they do, powerless. Start by talking to them about the seizures, what happens to your body, how they can help you and make them feel empowered to be with you when a seizure happens,,,hugs to you hon!

beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 2:01 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I only saw 1 girl have a seizure in my younger school years, and it was very traumatic. Kids are cruel and maybe they are not embarrassed but they don't want people to see something they may get made fun of for later, especially when it involves someone they love dearly.
    Andriya

Answer by Andriya at 2:02 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I'm sorry. I know this is scary for you on top of being hurt by your kids' embarassment. I don't have good answers for you but educating them might help. Is it possible for you to get one of those dogs that is trained to foresee a seizure coming? then you could get somewhere safe and private --or take meds to prevent it.
    charlottej

Answer by charlottej at 2:18 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I am on meds. They have been under control until recently. ALot of thing going on that are stressful. That tends to trigger them.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:21 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• The seizures is something that is out of your control. You gotta take it one day at a time and don't stress yourself over it. I can completely understand how you feel because if I would feel the same way. It's common for preteens and teens to act like that. But you can always find comfort in knowing that when they need someone to talk to or need a smile from a stressful day that it will be you that they will go to. At the end of the day it will be you that they come to. i hope that this comfort you.
    kewi86

Answer by kewi86 at 6:28 PM on Dec. 28, 2010