Letting baby cry it out...

Ok, my son is 8 months old (today actually). We have been having a hard time getting him to sleep in his crib. Some nights he will go down just fine and not wake up until 6 for a bottle, other nights he wakes up as soon as we put him down and screams and screams. All my family is saying to let him cry it out, but I cant do this! It breaks my heart and I want him to know I will be there for him. Everyone keeps telling me he is old enough to just leave him and within a week he will be sleeping in his crib. What is your opinion on letting babies CIO? Anyone do this? I just don't think I can bring myself to do this to my son. :(

TsMommy428

Asked by TsMommy428 at 1:56 PM on Dec. 28, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• This is a hot topic for bashing, just to warn you. but Yes, i did it.. I exhausted ALL other methods from No Cry Sleep Solution to Happiest Baby on the block. My Ped said due to the severity of my sons colic, no "method" would work as he didn't have the self soothing skills. I actually did this the day my son turned 8 months also.. I had to go on the porch so I didn't hear him _ i had my monitor in hand so I could see the red light raising and as soon as I didn't see that, I would go in and check on him instantly.. it was terribly hard, I wont lie.. email me if you want to talk more about it before I get down voted more lol!~
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:00 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I have three and I did it with all of mine. It is hard, but I think it pays of in the end.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 1:58 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I could not do it either. But, yes, some people think it is the way to go. I just don't see why it is necessary.

I rocked my children and grandchildren to sleep and that worked fine.
    Southernroots

Answer by Southernroots at 2:01 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I am not for it. Babies have enough anxiety. They don't need to feel abandoned.

Answer by admckenzie at 2:05 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• i think cio is one of those personal decisions. while it might be what's best for some it's not for others.

i just want to say that cio is not neglecting a child, torturing, abuse, mean, all the other stuff people say about it IF done correctly. the child should not be left alone to cry for more then 10 minutes, as a mother, you know the difference in his cries and you know what's just an unhappy cry and what's a frightened cry. if your baby is still crying after 10 minutes, go in, cover him up, give him his binkys or lovies or whatever his comfort object is, give him a soothing rub on the belly or back or pat him, and leave the room again. although if the child is actually tired AND all of his needs are met, you shouldn't have to go back in and he should be asleep or have soothed himself within that 10 minutes.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 2:10 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I do not believe in it, there will more than enough crying going on in his lifetime to start so early. Why not start a new routine, some rocking or soothing music, a bath right before bed. I would try everything else before I resort to let him cry it out.

Answer by older at 1:59 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I never did it with my daughter. She is 3 1/2 months shy of 2 and I still rock her to sleep every night! I am sure I'll get bashed but they are only young once as I've been told.....so cherish all the memories you can.
    jdbrown21

Answer by jdbrown21 at 2:06 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I tried it around that time and it didn't work my child. I made sure his bedtime rutine was the same every night and that worked for a while. Then at 13 months he went thru a crying spell and had try the cry it out method again. He was refuseing to go to bed and wasn't sick or anything. Made sure first. It took 2 days and that was it. He was ready. He would cry for 3 minutes then stop and be asleep. I think the differance was he was ready at 13 months and not at 8. I think you have to do what works for you.
    Liamsmom09

Answer by Liamsmom09 at 2:18 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I never did cio with my ds. But i did give him a few minutes to settle down! not all babies fall asleep like a rock right away! I noticed if I ran in at the first sound of a cry or whimper, he didnt settle down well and had trouble falling asleep. SO and I decided to give him a few minutes. If he continued or it escalated we went down the checklist lol (diaper change? hungry? trapped gas? wants to be held? too hot/cold?). If the checklist was good and he still cried me or SO would rock him for a bit. It was tiring but no harm in rocking a baby to sleep whenever they need it! It won't spoil a baby and they don't stay little forever
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 2:19 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Personally I can not do it. I tried it with my first and will not do it again. Sometimes, they just need to be next to you. It makes them feel safe. Maybe he is experiencing some anxiety. Maybe he is teething or doesn't feel well. Just hold him and keep putting him in there to sleep. Eventually, he will sleep on his own and this will be a memory.
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 2:57 PM on Dec. 28, 2010