what can you do when you have bi polar and people hold it against you and take your child from you because of it

i am bi polar and hate that i need my son and can't have him

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:57 PM on Dec. 28, 2010 in General Parenting

• You won't have your child taken away simply because you're bipolar. I am too and I have custody of my child. What else is there that you aren't telling us?
    Anonymous

• Your son was taken away because you're bi polar? Is it managed?
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 1:58 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Aren't you on meds?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:59 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• If you take your medication then I cannot see how anyone could take your son from you for no reason. My son has bipolar disorder and a son and this has not happened to him. His babies mama however did lose her son to CPS because she was using drugs and got caught. My son still gets to visit his son though whose with its grandparents right now. My son would have his son with him and could according to CPS but he doesnt have a place big enough, a job, and doesnt want to take his son away from a place he knows. I dont get why theyd take your child just because you have a treatable disorder?

Answer by gemgem at 1:59 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Who took away your child? The courts? If not, then take him back. Have you been diagnosed and put on meds?
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 1:59 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• They are not holding it against you, they just want what is best for your child. Work at getting your disease under control. Stay on your medication and prove yourself. That is the only chance you have of getting your child.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 1:59 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• There has to be more. They can't take him away if it's managed with meds.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 2:00 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I too am bipolar and haven't had problems with custody of my son, and I have had a run in with CPS because of my son's father. They were very kind and even helped me get into a therapy program that I couldn't afford on my own.

What has been going on that caused the custody problem? Were you having problems with your stability?
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 2:00 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• My sons father tried to use the fact that I am on medication for anxiety against me and the judge laughed at him.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 2:01 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I have a disorder too and sometimes facing truth isn't easy. I hear you saying you NEED HIM but if you are out of control it's possible he's not needing that right now. As a mom we have to do what's right for the child, not for ourselves. I'm not being mean, just realistic. Get things under control and then get him back.
    Anonymous