My hubby is making me feel really uncomfortable

I am Christian, I don't belong to any 1 church though. I've been searching for the right religion for me, but when it comes down to it I KNOW that I believe in Jesus Christ and 1 God. Anyways, my dh used to feel the same way, he even went to our local Pentecostal church and was baptized for the very 1st time in his life. I supported him fully, I even went to church with him on Sundays and watched him tear up as he felt the Holy Spirit. Well, that has all changed now.

My dh has started watching that show, "Ancient Aliens" and now he is obsessed. The man genuinely believes with all of his heart that God is an alien, that there isn't just 1 God that created everything, that aliens just did it. He believes that an alien impregnated the virgin Mary and that Jesus was a demi-God. The great flood, basically everything in the Holy Bible was caused by aliens he thinks. He is so into this now and begs me to watch the program with him. It's not just like watching a show for him though, it's like he's going to church or something and it makes me uncomfortable.

Last night he told me that in 2012 aliens are going to show themselves and destroy the Earth because "Ancient Aliens" told him so. He asked me what I'll do when that happens and I replied, "Hold my children and pray to God. I believe with all of my being in God and I can't just give up my faith, sorry." He still is trying to convert me though, this just makes him so excited. I'm trying to leave him be and not say anything about it but honestly I don't like this at all. I don't know why but I thought I married a Christian man and he just stopped believing in God because of a TV program. He says that the show proves that he's right, but every time I watch with him I feel terrible anxiety pains. He's not telling our kids about it (we feel that they should choose their own path/beliefs), but I don't want to convert. What would you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:12 PM on Dec. 28, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• If it is bothering you that bad. Don't watch it. Don't compimise your feelings and beliefs over a tv show. I am sorry but your husband is going to a very very extreme. That isn't normal. i hope everything works out for you guys. You might even want to try counseling with a third impartial party to hear both of you out.
    maggiebella25

Answer by maggiebella25 at 2:18 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• well ms anon im catholic & was baptised catholic i havent been to a catholic church in a while & i do believe in god & have faith in him but i do want to go back & read the bible & pray more often but just be honest with him & tell him that you dont believe the show is right & that you dont want to watch it anymore with him i hope your ok mama
    Ricanmami1

Answer by Ricanmami1 at 2:19 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• He hasn't said that I can't go (that wouldn't fly in my house anyways lol) to church, but when I do attend service he complains that people are judging him for not coming with me. He always looks down and asks if anyone talked badly about him. I always reply with the same thing, "No one said anything, no one talks crap about you in church, everything is fine" but he doesn't believe me. We got along so well when we went to church together and I loved seeing his eyes get all teary when he heard a sermon he liked. I guess I just miss that :(

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:22 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• id wait till 2012 when he sees that he's wrong and then ask why his alien gods arent there...but im a sarcastic jerk.

in seriousness just let it be. every time he tries to convert you just repeat how you are happy w/ your faith and that you arent going to change beliefs just b/c of a TV show he likes. then tell him his faith is his, not yours or y'alls. the whole situation has to be so odd, but let him be excited or else he will feel like you are judging him & his new beliefs. maybe over time he will realize how extreme he's acting.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 2:24 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• That sounds really extreme. I have a degree in Psychology and generally speaking people who go to extremes (in anything) might have some underlying issue that needs to be addressed. I can see how it would be hard to handle and really sympathize with you. I would for one counter with him on the 2012 issue because scientist have now proven we used the wrong calculations to determine 2012. We used our own math system and the Mayan math system was different for their calendar. Now there is no way of knowing when 2012 actually is, and in fact it may have already passed (50 years ago). That might take some steam off his beliefs?

Answer by gemgem at 2:25 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Here is the link. It came out in Oct 2010
    http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/mayan-calendars-2012-doomsday-prophecy-wrong/story?id=11926347

• Honestly, I think I'm a little embarrassed too. I mean the man is hell bent on telling the world about these aliens and I just sit there and watch. His co-workers and friends have all heard him talk about it, he even has a few of them watching the program now. I just can't believe that people who have been life long Christians (or whatever faith they had) are watching this alien show and converting. Converting to what I'm not sure, but you know what I mean.

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:28 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I watch that show and it is interesting. The thing is I think that people get confused by it because they want to believe in SOMETHING. Its easier to believe for some we came from aliens then to understand that just MAYBE those people from the sky were angels doing Gods work. I still believe God did create everything. I believe there is a possibility life exists on other planets, but if they do, I believe God created that life too.

Answer by gemgem at 2:52 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• First, I'm sorry you're going through that. Second, what I would do is pray..and pray hard..and get everyone I know that knows how to pray to pray. You also need to take a stand in your house and let the devil know where he can go and that you already have the victory. Third, does your church offer counseling? Maybe try that as well or secular counseling may also work. I'd just try a Christian counselor first since your belief system is the basis of this. I can empathize with your situation. Just continue to pray and confess positive things over your family. When you confess the Word, the devil has to flee. God bless you sweetie :)
    kittieashy

Answer by kittieashy at 4:05 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Wow. It is rather odd that he changed so suddenly like that. Was he questioning his beliefs before watching the show? I find it curious that he is worried about what others think about him not attending church with you. Sounds a little paranoid. Counselling might be a really good idea. 

If it were me, I'd just tell him, "Hey, whatever floats your boat, but I am not changing my beliefs just to make you happy." ... but I am just that kind of person. 

I wish you the best of luck in dealing with this.

SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 4:50 PM on Dec. 28, 2010