Need help with Yeast Free diet

My sons Dr. today told me to put him on a yeast free diet along with Dairy Free. But I am a bit overwhelmed by the Yeast Free part since it is new to me and I am not sure what he can have. His Dr. gave me a list of stuff he can't have and I have been looking it up on the internet but still feel confused about what he can have especially with the drinks. So I was wondering if any other Moms have any experience with this sort of diet and how long does the child stay yeast free? Is there a good reference book to get that can help me while shopping for yeast free foods and drinks? My son is also starting Probiotics, Nystatin & Pancease. Any advice or information is greatly appreciated.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:12 PM on Dec. 28, 2010 in Health

• I thought yeast was only in bread, pastries and beer... Sorry I am no help so I will bump you.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:14 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Yeasty Foods:

* Breads, rolls, cookies, pastries, pretzels and other bready foods
    * Vinegar, and foods which contain it, like mayonnaise, salad dressing, barbecue sauce, mustard, pickles and pickled foods.
    * Wine, beer and spirits
    * Fermented foods and beverages like sauerkraut or cider

Moldy Foods:

* All cheese
    * Dried, smoked or pickled meats
    * Cured bacon
    * Mushrooms, peanuts, and pistachios
    * Soy sauce, miso, tamari, and tempeh
    * Malt
    * Pre-packaged herbs and teas
    * Canned tomatoes

Answer by Bmat at 2:16 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Sugary foods:

* Processed sugar (granulated, confectioner's, brown)
    * Grapes, raisins, dates, prunes and figs; citrus fruits
    * Fruit juices and dried fruits
    * Soft drinks and drink mixes
    * Honey and maple syrup
    * High-fructose corn syrup
    * Chocolate

Starchy foods: limit consumption to 3 or 4 times per week

* Corn
    * Potatoes

http://www.theyeastdiet.com/yeast-free-diet.html

Answer by Bmat at 2:17 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• (from the same source)
    There are a great variety of healthy, tasty foods left to choose from that do meet the yeast free diet criteria:

* Vegetables, vegetables, and more vegetables, especially dark green leafy ones
    * Beans, of any variety
    * Meat protein, including beef, poultry, fish and shellfish, and fresh (uncured) pork
    * Eggs
    * Whole grains, including rice, barley, millet, couscous, and buckwheat
    * Whole grain oatmeal and pasta; corn, rice or spelt pasta
    * Unprocessed seeds and nuts
    * Vegetable oils which are unrefined (the kind that must be refrigerated)

For best results, the yeast free diet should be followed strictly for at least three to six weeks. In the first few weeks, the lack of food can cause a massive die-off of yeast within the system. Unfortunately, this has the effect of dumping many yeast toxins into the intestinal and vaginal tracts, which can cause flu- like f

• And so forth. So it isn't obvious, at least not to me. A neighbor had to put her daughter on this, but she managed OK. Good luck!

Answer by Bmat at 2:18 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• To clarify, the first few posts I made are to be avoided.

Answer by Bmat at 2:19 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I would just stick with water to drink, and if milk is important then almond or rice milk, or something like that that is safe for him - just don't give him other stuff to drink at least for a while - nothign else is really necessary. As for the yeast part - all the bready stuff, etc, like Bmat listed.
    Anonymous

• Seek out your local farmers markets the line of allergy free foods is growing.My daughter has a restaurant/farmers market and caries all fresh everything,milks-goat,and unpastuerized cow are available,also gluten free flours ect.she also has a full vegan menu too.But it is hard to find specialty foods for kids who have allergies.Check your local markets.
    grismelda

Answer by grismelda at 3:41 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Can you seek the help of a nutritional consultant of some kind?
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 4:58 PM on Dec. 28, 2010