At what age do you allow your child to wear makeup...

and what do you allow them to wear?

lovinangels

Asked by lovinangels at 2:15 PM on Dec. 28, 2010 in General Parenting

• I have one daughter. It will probably be 15 when she can wear it. She is just 10 now, but already asking. I will let her wear the basics, base,eyeliner, eyeshadow, and lipstick. I won't let her pile it on thick though.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 2:20 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Our kids played with facepaint, dollar store makeup and washable markers from a very young age. The transition to real makeup was natural, smooth and I cannot for the life of me remember at all what age they adopted its use.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 2:21 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• To me, at 12 they should be allowed to wear lipgloss/color a little mascara and a bit of blush if they want. I think the most important thing is to take them somewhere and have someone do their make-up (then it isn't your Mom showing you). Teaching them how to apply is the biggest fight I see. Teaching them how to apply to enhance their own beauty VS 'making-up" your face. My Mom was seriously strict about make-up and hose and such...I just did it when she wasn't around and removed it before she saw.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:24 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I have 5 kids all together but my first was a girl, last is a girl, so far I have only dealt with this with one. It was actually a natural transition for us. She was allowed to wear lip gloss anytime she wanted to. At around 12 yrs old she started asking about wearing blush. I showed her how to apply it looking natural. By the time she went into high school she was doing her hair nicely, her make up correctly and nicely etc. The only real rule I have had is she was never allowed to wear makeup that looked unnatural or slutty. No deep red lips. No dark dark eye liner etc.

Answer by gemgem at 2:30 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• 13, and then it will be light eye shadows< nrowns pinks and gold> light lipgloss and brown mascara... at 16 they can wear draker shades
    2boysmommy.js

Answer by 2boysmommy.js at 2:35 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• for ours it was the first year of middle school - 7th grade.... BUT it came with rules and a broken rule means no make up.

our rules for wearing make up - You MUST properly wash your face morning and night with proper face soap.  You may NOT sleep in make up nor may you play sports in make up.  You MUST wear sun screen.  You must have GOOD quality make up.  You must look age appropriate in the make up... may not look like a hooker, goth, etc.  You may not share make up.

Basically if she took good care of her skin and wore it appropriately I didnt mind.

Anonymous

• I started wearing lip gloss and light shadow at 12, + mascara at 13, + eye liner at 14,+ foundation or powder at 16
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 2:49 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• 12th grade.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 2:53 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Hopefully never for my girls. I've never worn it and don't see a point to it. My oldest daughter is 10 and I won't buy her make-up. If she wants to wear it when she's older she'll have to buy it herself and since she doesn't get an allowance that's going to be hard. She'll also have to find someone else to teach her how to put it on because I have no clue. I have NEVER worn makeup and have no idea how to put it on. I can't stand the feel of it. I will continue to encourage NO makeup forever. I don't think they need it. I don't think any woman needs it.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 3:36 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I would wait until my girls is sixteen or seventeen and I would start them off with lip gloss that have some color to it. It's old fashion but I don't want my girls growing up too fast either.
    kewi86

Answer by kewi86 at 6:06 PM on Dec. 28, 2010