My daughter doesn't like puree food or even the step 3 food...

What do you feed your 10 month old? Mine only has 2 bottom teeth. She likes turkey and cut up fruit but I just don't think she is gettng enough rood in her since she is drinking so much formula. Any ideas? My son loved the puree food and got his teeth fast so i didn't have this problem with him.

JacobsMommy05

Asked by JacobsMommy05 at 2:35 PM on Dec. 28, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Not enough food & too much formula? NO such thing, she's still a baby, she's supposed to be getting 32+ oz of formula a day, and foods are only supposed to be for practice. There is no harm in skipping jarred baby foods for table foods, especially if she can handle it, but before she turns one, there's no such thing as not enough food - her nutrition is coming from her formula, and she obviously needs it if she's taking "too much" in to get solids.
    Anonymous

• I agree. Formula is where all the real nutrition is coming from and the food is just to prepare her. If she doesn't like the baby food, just skip it....its gross! Give her what you're eating if she wants it...if not, let her have her formula.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 2:48 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• WIC is probably trying to cut the amount your are getting from them or how much money they give you to purchase it. I would go by what your doctor is telling you. If he/she is happy, don't worry about it! My son is hit and miss with table foods, refuses any and all baby food and nurses on a regular schedule. He is 21 very healthy pounds at 10 months....just like my middle child was. I agree with Anon, table foods are for practice, formula/breast for nutrition.
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 2:48 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• At this age you baby will get the bulk of her nutrition from her formula. The other foods are just experimentation and sensory exploration.

If you'd like her to be open to trying more foods give her toys and objects that have different textures, smooth things, metal things, bumpy things, scratchy things, soft things, hard things...as many different things as you can find. She'll likely use her mouth to explore these textures, thus expanding her horizon.

Also, encourage her to explore the foods you offer in her own way. She'll mash things up, see how they feel on her skin, see what happens when she spreads food around her tray, smell foods, decide if it's sweet or salty...This is most effective using real, infant safe foods rather than processed puree's. The more she knows about what she's eating but will help her feel more comfortable trying new things.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 2:51 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Until one year of age, babies nutrition comes mainly from breast milk or formula. One of the two should always be given right before feeding solids. At 10 mos, you don't need to use purees or baby food, you can feed her most of the things that you eat. Keep them soft, steaming or baking if necessary to get them soft, and cut small.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:37 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Good to know thanks. I was told she was getting to much formula from the WIC people but maybe I need to ask my doctor to make sure on the amount of formula that is a good amount,not them !!
    JacobsMommy05

Comment by JacobsMommy05 (original poster) at 2:42 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• We followed "baby led weaning" and my kids loved it. Try a google seach for "baby led weaning" and see if it makes sense to you. I would talk to the doc about her formula/food intake and ignore the WIC people. WIC said my son needed to fatten up at 8 months because he was in the 10% for weight and 90% for height, but the doc said since he was born there he was fine.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 3:37 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Thank you ladies! That makes me feel so much better!
    JacobsMommy05

Comment by JacobsMommy05 (original poster) at 1:57 PM on Dec. 31, 2010