I need to ask a question to a NAVY WIFE.

I am moving to a navy base with a two year old daughter. The moving company said they were going to be three days late getting our stuff to our new house. We just got information stating that we are missing information that they forgot to ask us for and now we dont know when our things are going to be to our house. We wont have anything... no clothes, no beds, no furniture, no towels.. anything.. Is there any resources or anything I can do as a wife across the country?

USNavyWife0330

Asked by USNavyWife0330 at 2:41 PM on Dec. 28, 2010 in Travel

• I am a former NAVY wife and a Air Force brat. We have moved so many times I can't even remember. You need to get in touch with the moving company, if they did not ask you for all the pertinent information then this is their screw up. Unfortunately it's probably not going to get your things there any faster though. At your new base there should be a department that you can call so you can rent a few things cots, couch, dishes. I'm sorry I can't remember the name but if you can find a base directory and make a few phone calls someone should be able to point you in the right direction. Make use of the spousal support stuff they have on base. It's there to make your life easier because being a military wife/dependent is harder than people think. Best of luck and let me know if I can ever help with anything!

LadybugTash

Answer by LadybugTash at 3:18 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Sometimes there are places on base where you can check things out, sometimes, such as pots and pans that is about it. No furniture. Usually I pack box full with a pot so that I can cook and a few blankets so we can be comfortable during the transitiong. Paper plates and platic silverware are your friends until you get your kitchen things. You should pack a couple towels and such and prepare not to have anything for awhile. The last time we moved it took 2 weeks for things to catch up with us. Just try to make the best of it and do not allow them to take necesseties. After rereading I m guessing they already packed everything up. I would invest in a coupe of new towels and necessities. You I am guessing kept some clothes, it is just going to require some trips to the lundromat and wearing the clothes that you kept. Also you might want to buy an inflatable matress so you can be somewhat comfortable. Good luck.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 3:19 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• See if the Navy Base has any of the following:

"Loan Closet – For temporary loan (usually up to 2 weeks) of small household items and other relocation items. Kitchen Loaner Kits (necessary kitchen items), appliance packs (toasters, iron, and coffeemakers), linen packs (sheets, blankets, and towels), and air mattresses (with an attached pump) are available for use by incoming and outgoing service members and their families. Car seats, cribs, high chairs, vacuums, and strollers are also available. "

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 7:52 PM on Dec. 28, 2010