What to do when my daughter has an HSV 1 outbreak.

MY daughter is 16, shes has herpes for about a month now, and the first time got it REALLY bad all on her lips and the space between her nose and mouth. I took her to the doctor they have her an antibiotic. This time its just small and looks like a pimple. But its not. We believe her outbreak was caused by my neice, my neice is one and the first time my daughter got it a few days early she baby sat my neice while my neice was sick. on christmas my daughter was around my neice who is still sick, and now has an outbreak. My question is what do i do, its small but is there anything we can do or need to do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:00 PM on Dec. 28, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• I don't think an antibiotic has any effect on HSV1 or 2.... Take her to the doctor and get a prescription for Valtrex or a generic version. It'll help speed the healing process. Also it's important that you explain to her that HSV1 is very contagious and can easliy lead to HSV 2. It's probably not something you want to think about, but if she has oral sex while having an outbreak, she can give the other person genital herpes.
    dmdblleb

Answer by dmdblleb at 3:10 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• ask your dr for a antiobiotic lip ointment my sister uses abreva i think you can buy it over the counter and she starts using it the second she feels a lip coming on.
    Jaxsmommy09

Answer by Jaxsmommy09 at 3:11 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• They have OTC meds she can use that can take care of it pretty quick, and keep it clean. There are a few things that can help bring on an outbreak like stress, hormones, or when you start to get sick. The big thing is that she not share things that come in contact with her lips with other people, drinking glasses, lip gloss, silver ware especilly when she is having an outbreak. That really sucks and I feel for both of you.
    LadybugTash

Answer by LadybugTash at 3:13 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I agree with the abreva and she can also take L-lysine tablets, it is an amino acid. As soon as she feels the outbreak coming on start taking the L-lysine. It really helps control it.
    Anonymous

• www.herpes-coldsores.com/amino-acid-lysine-for-herpes.html

Here is the website. I couldn't get it to link
    Anonymous

• tons of over the counter things. ask pharmacist for the best seller
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 3:45 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• She cab dab hydrogen peroxide on the sore and it will go away in a few days.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:43 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• You really think your 16yo got herpes from a baby??? LOL You re not really that naive are you?
    madsmom314

Answer by madsmom314 at 5:35 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• My sister has that type of herpes, not the STD kind. She has had since she was very young she breaks out all over her mouth. Her doctor prescribed Valtrex and it helps her a lot.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 11:21 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

You do realize that having sex isn't the only way to get herpes and if someone has cold sores (herpes) they can be passed on by touch.

matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 11:23 AM on Dec. 29, 2010