Do any of you have

a close friend (or even your best friend) that constantly ''talks up'' their child? Even when it is blatantly clear to everyone else around that is not the case?

How do you handle it?

cheekycherub

Asked by cheekycherub at 3:04 PM on Dec. 28, 2010 in General Parenting

• my mother does this about my 16yr old brother o he did the dishes or he made his bed so he is 16 lady take the nipple out his mouth and be glade when he pays a bill lol goodness !!!!
    premiemom18

Answer by premiemom18 at 2:09 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Is she expecting an answer? Usually when my sil does it she is making statements, Im sure she wants a response but I just don't say anything or I just say "Oh" or "Yeah" just short responses that are not really engaging in any sort of conversation about it.
    sue118

Answer by sue118 at 3:29 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I had a friend who did that. At first I would just ignore her but I eventually had to tell her that it wasn't necessary. It closed her mouth
    kewi86

Answer by kewi86 at 5:56 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I have a SIL who does that. When the kid was 16 if he made his own sandwich she would go on and on about how he did it like it was some sort of big accomplishment. It was so annoying. I just ignored it and tried to not be around her much. If this is your friend whenever she starts doing it you should just cut the visit short, or change the subject. Hopefully, she will get the hint.
    sue118

Answer by sue118 at 3:13 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Just ignore it. They can think and say what they want, it might be annoying but not much you cn do about it.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 3:13 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• yes. i just ifnore her... nothing you can really do about it
    2boysmommy.js

Answer by 2boysmommy.js at 3:16 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• By ignore do you mean just not respond? And pretend like you don't hear her? And if she repeats herself? Over and over again.
    cheekycherub

Comment by cheekycherub (original poster) at 3:25 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I have a friend like that. I just nod and go along with it. Not really much you can do unless you want to turn it into an issue and risk upsetting her.
    mamasitax2

Answer by mamasitax2 at 3:42 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I realized that we ALL brag. What I said was...CONSTANTLY talks up. For example, "my son just started playing basketball, he always knows JUST what to do....he carried his WHOLE team" (putting the other kids...who ARE better than him, down). How nice and sweet and perfect and what a good boy he is...when all he does is whine. He doesn't share and is sneaky and steals toys...then cries when another kid calls him on it or takes the toy back. "Oh, he was soooo quick to be potty-trained (he was 4). He is such a good cousin...he knows how to hold his cousins bottle for her (he is almost 6 now. I sure hope he can hold the bottle)!
    He learned to ride a motorcycle in 5 seconds. $hit like that. And yes, these are all real things said.

Sorry, I'm just frustrated and sick of it. Was just looking for some suggestions or maybe ways to lessen ALL of the hype.
    cheekycherub

Comment by cheekycherub (original poster) at 5:25 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Just ignor it. We all brag on our children. :)
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 5:20 PM on Dec. 28, 2010