My boyfriend's son caught forging!

He is only in 2nd grade and has to do a reading log where he reads a book nightly and then the parent signs that he has read. When my bf's son goes with his mom, my bf looked at the paperwork and seen that this 7 year old is forging his mom's name! I am so pissed that my bf doesn't want to tell the school about this because he wants his son to trust him that now and in the future he will never "rat" on his son, plus he is in "advanced math" classes which my bf thinks makes up for the forging. I think that's such a damn stupid idea and believe not only should our son be punished at home, but also we should tell the school so he can get detention so he can learn how serious of an offense this is! Besides this, my bf doesn't even want to tell the boys mom about it. Is shutting my mouth the only thing I can do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:59 PM on Nov. 10, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I would tell the mom about it. But, I don't really think the forging is that bad. I use to forge my parent's name on alot of stuff and I didn't grow up to be a criminal or anything. Alot of kids forge stuff.
    Kenzies_momma

Answer by Kenzies_momma at 1:12 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• I couldn't keep my mouth shut about it. His father dismissing it doesn't help his son's character at all. Try talking about it again with him don't let it become an argument try to have him see your point of view.
    Apr1l

Answer by Apr1l at 1:13 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• if he lets it go now, the boy will think he can get away with worse stuff later. he needs to be firm now that way his son knows what responsibility and consequences are. letting it slide is the worst thing he can do.

bubblebean

Answer by bubblebean at 1:15 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• It's the adults job to "rat" on a child! We are not here to be our children's "best friends" and "secret keepers". Trying to be your child's friend instead of a parent just leads to really messed up kids who never grow up.
    Does he have to rat out the child this time? No. But he needs to sit down with the child and let him know that this is not acceptable. That he will be checking up on him and expects he to do ALL the work. And if he finds more problems, he will revisit this issue with the child's mom and teacher.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:08 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• We caught my SO's 16 year old signing his teachers name on a paper. We made him write sentances(since he is sooooo fond of writing*sarcasm*.) He had to write 250 times, "I will not do sneaky things that cause Jamie and Dad to lose trust in me." For a younger child you might make the sentance simpler and only 100 times.
    We did not contact the school, since we do not believe in punishing any of the kids twice for a single offense. However, if he does it agian, we will notify the teacher and see how the school chooses to handle it.
    PatCarMom

Answer by PatCarMom at 7:32 PM on Nov. 11, 2008