Need help and advice from working moms!

I don't have a job yet, but I'm getting one. I have to. I have two kids and day care is not really an option, since I will be working part time only and hopefully, mostly during my husband's off hours. So I will probably only need someone a few hours a week, probably NOT during business hours. Day cares around here don't offer pick up times any later than 6:00 and my husband sometimes works until 11:30, and if I have to work late on those days too... you get it.

I don't have family near by at all.

How do I find a sitter flexible enough to handle this crazy schedule? Why do day cares only offer business hours when so many of us don't work business hours?

Ati_13

Asked by Ati_13 at 3:07 PM on Dec. 28, 2010 in Money & Work

• start a babysitting co-op in your area.
    Try craigslist - someone on there might be more flexible.
    Good luck.
    cheekycherub

Answer by cheekycherub at 3:09 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• If you live in a college town, then you can post advertisments there or many times they have a list of available sitters that you can interview.

You can also go through places like sitters.com

good luck
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 3:09 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• If you have a college nearby, you could call and ask them to post this job for a student. This way you can interview them, they'll be close by and they have unconventional hours that might work for you.

tarakenyon06

Answer by tarakenyon06 at 3:10 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Yes, try Craigslist. There are always flexible ones offering childcare. Just be especially careful choosing them. Good luck and congrats on your new job!!!!
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 3:11 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I have problems with that too, because our day care is not open on week ends and sometimes I have school on week ends because I work during the week, so it makes it hard the person I depend on the most is my grandma, she helps out alot, but she is old and I know it wont last forever. There are sites like sittercity.com, I think though I haven't had experience with them personally, also some churches have daycare programs, good luck know how ya feel
    NicholeAT

Answer by NicholeAT at 3:12 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Older women are often flexible. We have some area daycares that offer 24 hour care out of their home. Craigslist is an excellent resource.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 3:16 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I thought no-one offered late night care here either, then I met someone who worked in the hospital, and they have a daycare that is not restricted to hospital employees that is open all night. Perhaps do some networking or even calling the hospitals and find out if anything like that is available around you.

Places don't often offer it because demand is low, and because there are often special licenses and restrictions over night or late night stays. Try to find an at home day care center.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 3:20 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• check around. I found a day care that runs 24 hours two towns over from me. It's pricey but well worth it when that late night job crops up. It's also a good resource for when you must run errands and don't want or can't involve your child. PS I'm the grandma who has full nighttime care of a 5 yr old grandson while my daughter works nights - she is home with him in the daytime. I use this special day care whenever there is something I really want to do that I can n ot take him. It cost more than a sitter. But we have no sitters near us so that is no option. I think it runs me about $12 an hour but as I said if I need it, it is there and he always has a great time there.
    horsegal2760

Answer by horsegal2760 at 3:23 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Try local colleges if that is an option. When I was in college, I got some sitting jobs from the job board in the student union. I'm fortunate because my job right now gives us a free membership to sittercity.com where sitters and parents can post jobs. I think the membership is pretty pricey though I'm not sure about that. That site has been a godsend for us. All the sitters on there have had background checks too, so that is reassuring.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 3:25 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Are there any hourly playcares in your area? There are a handful of them where I live. They're open until 1am...there's a small annual registration fee, but then you're only charged by the hour.
    tommy_mommy

Answer by tommy_mommy at 3:26 PM on Dec. 28, 2010