Do you like a name that's tainted/ruined?

for me I *love* the name Mariah but cannot deal w/ the lifetime of "oh your parents named you after Mariah Carey"!

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 3:22 PM on Dec. 28, 2010 in Baby Names

• Go with whatever name you like! I named my daughter Aaliyah, and it was never intended to be after the singer! It just happened! I heard it alot in the begining but not so much anymore. Everyone just says its pretty!
    Supermama323

Answer by Supermama323 at 3:24 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I've liked names that are tainted because they are an ex of one of us..lol
    Jambo4

Answer by Jambo4 at 3:28 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I never had an issue with someone "ruining" a name for me.

But hubs refused to consider the name Alison because he had an ex-girlfriend named Alison and he thought it would seem odd. I liked the name and didnt care so I was surprised that he cared.

Anonymous

• yeah i like the names of any kind not just because famous people have it
    Ricanmami1

Answer by Ricanmami1 at 6:07 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• you should just ignore it... if you like and or love the name then who cares if it was or wasn't named after someone else.
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 7:35 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• My daughter's name is Scarlett and everyone instantly thinks I named her after the Gone with the Wind character. I didn't though. I got her name from an actress named Scarlett Pomers. I've never even read the Gone with the Wind books nor have I seen the movie!

I think you should go with whatever name you love. If people think you named her after Mariah Carey then oh well! Just correct them and move on. That's what I do.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 8:07 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• there are some names I would just never use for what ever reason.
    But if it is a name I like I would go ahead. And just tell your daughter you picked out that name for her because it is beautiful just like her. .........(Not because someone else famous has the same name......)
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 8:12 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• I like the name Jezebel but my religious parents said it sounds like a whore from the bible
    Bjoycassell

Answer by Bjoycassell at 8:12 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• My dd's name is Rhianna and everybody says "like the singer". I say no Rhianna like Rhiannon the Fleetwood Mac song. I don't even know how the singer spells her name.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 8:13 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Bjoycassell that is too funny. I can only hear my mom if I wanted to use that name.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 8:16 AM on Dec. 29, 2010