so my 2 year old is developmentally behind in most things, but just curious when your child was able to..

*successfully* use a spoon/fork to eat? when i say successful, i mean actually getting the food into his/her mouth, holding the spoon right and getting the food onto the spoon/fork without flinging it everywhere? when they could eat cereal with milk out of a bowl?

she didn't talk a lot til 23 months, she just turned 2 a few weeks ago. she was evaluated by a speech therapist and everything looked good, and sure enough she started chatting it up a few days before the evaluation. now she is a great talker. she knows her numbers 1-10, colors, she knows the words to some songs and her alphabet. but now im wondering if she's delayed in motor skills.

she tries to use the spoon. ive been letting her try since she was 18 months. she points the mouth of the spoon facing her and the handle pointing downward, instead of aiming the mouth directly into her mouth. the only thing she can eat right is mashed potatoes with a thick consistency. she also cannot drink out of a regular cup. has to be a straw or a sippy. and everytime someone goes potty, she'll follow and sit on her potty fully clothed, but bare butt forget about it. she has yet to have any success on the potty yet. but i know she still has room for growth with this.

im just a little concerned.. my oldest was definitely eating cereal out of a bowl with milk, oatmeal, drinking out of a cup, by her 2nd birthday. i know each child is different but im pretty sure she should be doing these things by now. is yours? when did they have this stuff down?

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 3:40 PM on Dec. 28, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• DD is 2 in a week- is not potty trained, tries to eat with spoons and forks but is unsuccessful most of the time, does not eat cereal with milk, and can kind of drink out of a cup, but spills it half the time. She doesnt know her alphabet or colors, but will repeat a lot of what we say. Doesnt sound like your kid is delayed at all.
    serioussifL

Answer by serioussifL at 3:53 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I really wouldn't concern youself with it. I sounds to me like your previous child may have been a bit ahead of the curve. If your pediatrician isn't worried, then neither should you be.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 3:53 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• OKay. My DD just turned 3 yesterday! She was finally potty trained like 2 weeks ago! She is still fussy about the fork and spoon since it is just easier to use fingers. Even for yogurt! She has been talking forever but she is a second child and they tend to talk earlier. Let's see...Cup, I am wanting to say she was closer to 2 and a half before she was doing that with great success. I would giver he the small bathroom cups of water at snacks to practice with. It's not to early to start watching for things but it sounds like you are on track. Every kid develops differently so having good communication with your ped on her development will help you a great deal. If she isn't worried then all is well.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:55 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• My son is delayed as well. But, he also has autism, so it may be a little different. He is 3 years old and he still struggles with a fork and spoon. The spoon he expects his food to stick on...he hasn't yet figured out how to scoop. He has a hard time pressing down on his fork to get food on it as well. They all learn at their own rate. She'll get it one of these days. =)
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 3:44 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Just turned 2 or closer to 3. 2 years to 3 years is a HUGE developmental gap. So much can happen in those 12 months it's amazing!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:47 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Every child develops in their own way dont compare what your child is or isnt doing to others children. Some kids do things befor others and some kids dont. My son is 20months and doesnt talk much yet hes got several words but hes not talking talking. He can use a spoon and fork but my newphew is 2 is unable but my newphew who is 2 talks like a little 3 year old to. So every child is different just keep encourging her to use a spoon and fork she will learn in her own time and as for potty training shes still little and may not show intrest in doing that for a while. some kids dont potty train till 3.
    Jaxsmommy09

Answer by Jaxsmommy09 at 3:49 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• What is she delayed in?

My son is developmentally delayed and in therapy. He is 31 months and still can't eat cereal with milk in it cuz he makes a huge mess. But he is still learning and we give a fork or spoon at every meal. He can drink out of a cup but only under supervision and very little in the cup. He tends to get excited and spill it. So we stick to sippy's and straws. And as for oatmeal, its still messy to eat but he tries.

At your daughters age he couldn't do any of that.
    Mipsy

Answer by Mipsy at 3:52 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• each kid does things in their own time my son --just started ''talking'' and isn't a ''pro'' at feeding himself hes only 2 it takes a while. enjoy her needing your help now because they grow really fast it seems like only yesterday i was trying to potty train my oldest she's 7 now
    mamabeard3

Answer by mamabeard3 at 4:11 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• my dd is turning two in about 7 weeks and she doesnt speak in full sentences either but she does use a fork and hspoon and had been since about...14 or 15 month... some kids are delayed at some thing and better at others doesnt mean anything is wrong though. just be sure to continue giving her the experience of using a fork and spoon
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 7:21 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• My son was 16 months when he was using a spoon succesfully. He potty trained himself at 3 years.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 7:58 PM on Dec. 28, 2010