Is this a dumb reason to have another child? Why did you have a child?

I've been fighting with the idea for awhile now. We can easily afford another child, the child would have his/her own room etc. I don't like the baby stage but I want a big family when they are older. My dh's family is not very loving or a very cohesive family and neither is mine so I want to create this for my own children and ourselves. Now I realize that they may not all get along etc but in a perfect world I want this and will teach them how to be a close family and how to love. We have two children now. Thank you.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:46 PM on Dec. 28, 2010 in General Parenting

• Wanting a larger family because you have the resoruces and the love to provide that child, and wanting a wonderful life and future for that child is not a "dumb" reason at all. If anything, it's the right reason!!

Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 3:53 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• IMHO if you feel the desire to have another child and your partner is receptive, then it's good to go. All you need is love. (and a sperm and an egg)

we had baby #2 ASAP 'cuz we're both only children and did not not NOT want that for our kids any under circumstances. we're *almost* TTC #3 because timing is nearly perfect. just waiting on knowing about a promotion my husband is up for, because that might mean moving and I'd prefer to not move while pregnant 'cuz I already have some medical issues and lifting restrictions.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 5:46 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I dont think it is a dumb reason if you can afford it and you want it. It would be dumb if you couldnt afford it. I too, do not have a large loving and caring family. I dont know my fathers side at all. If I were able to have more, I would but I cant afford anymore. You have to do whats in your heart. But to remember you DO have to go through that baby stage. I wish you the best of luck. Happy Holidays
    TLW514

Answer by TLW514 at 3:50 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I say go for it. Remember, it's not just about being able to afford another one...it's about loving your kids unconditionally and giving them all the love and support in the world.
    cheekycherub

Answer by cheekycherub at 3:51 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• When we were deciding about a 3rd I could come up with a million reasons why NOT to have a 3rd...but when it all boiled down.....the reason we chose TO have a 3rd was b/c it was another person to love in our family...a living breathing important person in our family that would enhance our lives! How can you say no to that...lol. I also thought about the future of my other two children...

Now I get my limits...I know I can not handle anymore....but for a 3rd...this was my line of thinking.... :)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 3:53 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I had children as an extension of our love, you can teach kids to be the way you want them to be, I know I did and now they are grown and exhibit all those attributes I instilled in them and family unions was one of those...

Answer by older at 3:55 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• No, that isn't a dumb reason. A dumb reason to have a kid is to get married, which is what we did. My parents said we couldn't see each other anymore, so we proceeded to force them to let us get married. We loved our son, but both agree that waiting would have been the better thing to do. 

Kids are going to fight, no matter what you do. Which is why I only had one. I knew who did and didn't have to play the blame game or listen to "will you stop touching me!" or "he took my cookie!!" =)

If you want another and feel like you can give it the attention and love, then go for it. 

SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 4:07 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Not a dumb reason. I only have one child b/c that is all we ever wanted. For us having another b/c our son will have a sibling would be dumb.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 5:19 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• No it's not
    kewi86

Answer by kewi86 at 5:43 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• This is the same reason I wanted children so bad. As long as you love your kids and teach them YOUR version of a close loving family, you aren't doing anything wrong by wanting to create the family you always wanted.
    TitusMom7

Answer by TitusMom7 at 11:29 PM on Dec. 28, 2010