Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

if my wages are being garnished can the irs take my tax refund?

Answer Question

Asked by blackbuddafly at 3:51 PM on Dec. 28, 2010 in Money & Work

Level 1 (2 Credits)
Answers (8)
  • Sure they can!

    Answer by rebeccadac at 3:52 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

  • they could if the company that is garnashing your wages puts in to 1099 you but most of the time they just garnash your wadges. Depends on the company you owe money to and what kind of actions they want to take.

    Answer by Jaxsmommy09 at 3:54 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

  • Yes. They will apply it to anything you owe them and if there is anything left over they will refund you the difference.

    Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 3:55 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

  • They can and they will.

    Answer by UpSheRises at 3:56 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

  • Yep they sure can...the IRS took 1000 of mine a few years ago because a credit company never sent me a collections notice and it became federal debt because I never contacted them about it...

    Answer by Shelii at 4:00 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

  • Yes. And they will.

    Answer by Mom2Just1 at 4:39 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

  • Yes, if someone has filed against you for an outstanding amount.

    Answer by sexyfancyface at 9:25 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

  • Yes, but they have to file saying that you owe them money and that they've sued you first. If they don't file then you still get your tax return. Your spouse (if applicable) can file as an innocent spouse and it's possible that he can get some of a return from it. Though it does take quite a bit of work to get that through:,,id=109283,00.html

    Answer by Erica_Smerica at 10:49 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in Money & Work

Next question overall (Baby Names)