Describe a modern day world where every woman with children is not working:

I am just curious about thoughts on this. I don't believe it would work. Though I believe that there is no right or wrong way when it comes to working or not I just don't think the modern world could function with only men and childless women working. What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:58 PM on Dec. 28, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• Then who would be our wonderful teachers? Who would go to college and design our beautiful homes? I think we should respect each other more. :) Good question.
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 12:06 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• My family would not and could not survive without my career so I don't think it could work either.... we would have to revert back to the 50's to have that kind of life. I would love to do it, everything was more simple, people lived within their means and values were still important, we can't go back but wouldn't it be great if we could.

bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 4:02 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I am a HUGE advocate for a parent staying home with the child... but I dont think it HAS to be the mother. I think we would have a WONDERFUL society if we could have A parent, either one, home with the child(ren).

Anonymous

• It happens every day so it must work. Every SAHM I know, the ones who have under school age children, has to live this way, with the husband making the money because if the wife worked too all her money earned would go to daycare.
    Anonymous

• Well, we'd all be on PA!
    ----------------------------------------
    No, we would not ALL be on PA.  There are plenty of us who survive just fine on one income and don't depend on PA.  I think people might stop living outside their means so much.  When we chose to be a one income family we chose to live more frugally.  It's not really that hard.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 6:34 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I wouldn't want to know a world today where ONLY men held jobs. I like my female physician, my DD's female teachers, my female Veterenarian, the lovely librarian who does story time, etc etc. They ALL have kids.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 1:28 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• I am thinking even about all the career dominated by women. Teaching for instance and nursing and veterinary care... Who is oging to fill those positions.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:04 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Well, I would assume it would be rather similar to the 1920's where that was the norm. Women had no rights, they were seen as possessions, abuse was not only common but generally accepted. Choices on where to live, what to believe, where to go, how to raise children... yadda yadda... were all up to the men. Women who choose not to marry or who couldn't have children, or who *gasp* decided to seek out a better life were generally shunned... I can't imagine any of that would be different today if women were stripped of their ability to work and make a better life for themselves. The ability to work is the foundation of women's rights, without it they are completely dependent on someone else... Personally I don't think it worked then, and I don't see how it could ever work today.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:13 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I'm not talking about some I mean every single woman with children no longer being in the work force. I have several SAHM friends so Trust me I have no problem with them!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:14 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

Anon: It doesn't always work today. In those situations where it does work, it works because the women CHOOSE to make it work, and generally prefer to stay home. In a world where women were expected to stay home simply because they had children, or where they were required to stay home because they had children, more women would be expected to have children and in turn women would be staying home not because they chose to, but because they have to. In a world where people are forced to live one way or another, rights are removed & limited, which is never a good thing!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:18 PM on Dec. 28, 2010