Out of Guilt?

Without going into to much detail...
I know a Mom (60's) who plays the guilt card on her children ALL the time. Grown kids who should be able to have their own opinions, but are afraid of upsetting Mom all the time, that they just do whatever they think she wants in the first place. And if they dont, there's hell to pay.
Right now the Mom is barely talking to her daughter because she chose to do something different for Thanksgiving than spend it with the family for dinner. So, now the Mom is doing whatever she possibly can to make it hard on daughter... and trying to bring the son into the argument as well.

I wish I knew how to make her see what she's doing to her kids.
Has anyone gone through this?

MrsDAP

Asked by MrsDAP at 3:58 PM on Dec. 28, 2010 in Relationships

• she is 60 she isnt going to change... nothing you can say will help.

her children will either play her game until she dies or they will start to live thier own lives and just deal with her.

sad but sometimes you just have to accept people for who they are and make the tough choices.
    Anonymous

• my mom even manages to manipulate and guilt my husband lots of time. it's a life long skill/talent and nothing can change that attention seeking behavior sadly.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 4:11 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Unfortunately there are grandchildren involved too. Ages 8, 10, 12 and 13. They see and hear everything (Cause Grandma makes sure kids know she's always right). Especially the 12 year old, cause she lives almost permanently with the Grandmother (60yr old) and she is being put into the middle of her Mom and Grandmothers disputes.
    MrsDAP

Comment by MrsDAP (original poster) at 4:11 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• WOW.. that sounds just like my bf's father!!!
    mommyoftristan

Answer by mommyoftristan at 5:28 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• My step mother was like that. Only one of her 8 kids talks to her now and it's more of a duty than anything else. They didn't let her be around their children. Send pictures in the mail. Now my step mother is old and has Alzheimer's and no one cares.
    LivinWell11

Answer by LivinWell11 at 6:51 AM on Dec. 29, 2010