what would you do?

ok this is the shortest I can explain this, I work for an insurance company. Which they offer tution reimbursement, however it's brough to my attention that for this recent semester I wouldn't get reimbursed and also that because I've been receiving Pell grants that I would need to pay back the company?
Would you get a lawyer right away in this situaton.
I had no idea even that I couldn't receive TR with a Pell grant. And it seems theirs some shady stuff happening with my company.
so what would you do?

Sillylins

Asked by Sillylins at 4:10 PM on Dec. 28, 2010 in Money & Work

• I agree with the other posters go find out what the exact terms of the tuition reimbursements were. I don't think the company is trying to screw you over though, and I don't think it would hurt to have a one on one conversation with them to find out what's going on.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 10:45 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I would read all the fine details in the companies handbook. Why will they not reimburse you? It makes sense to me that they want the Pell money back, you don't need to be making money in this process.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 4:14 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I agree with candi... read read read.
    If you dont see your answer then perhaps consult an attny.
    Anonymous

• Yes you can recieve TR with the pell grant, I don't get TR but my best friend does and she gets $4800 a year from the pell grant
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 4:12 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I would ask lots and lots of questions, sounds very fishy and not so much on the up and up. I would call an attorney and at least ask his advice. Good luck.

bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 4:17 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• It makes sense that they wouldn't pay you for the amount that is paid by the Pell grant. It's not really a "reimbursement" if you are not paying your tuition in the first place. Employers can put conditions on their tuition reimbursement; both companies I have worked for made it conditional on grades. If the Pell grant is only covering a portion of your tuition, maybe your company will work with you on the difference.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 4:35 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• it's up to the company to decide whether to reimburse you, you have to live with that. it's not at all shady that they don't want to give you money to pay the tuition that has already been paid, it's put to good use for those that have no federal aid, which is why they want to stop people from "making" money in this process. it does sound shady to me though that someone would want to keep their reimbursement when the bill was paid by someone else. the last company i worked for that gave TI only gave 4Gs a semester, and only if you didn't get over a certain amount of other help with those bills.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 4:50 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Talk to a lawyer, and be sure you have all the company stuff to show them.
    sexyfancyface

Answer by sexyfancyface at 9:22 PM on Dec. 28, 2010