I am a Stepmom with 2 step children that are 7 and 9. Should I be responsible for watching them on my husband's days of possesion?

My husband has joint custody of his 2 daughters. They are 7 and 9. I am a teacher therefore I have off summers and holiday breaks. On the days he has possession of the children should I be responsible for watching them when he is at work? This is how our schedule with his daughters work. One week we have them Monday, Tuesday, friday, saturday and Sunday. Then the next week we have them Wednesday and Thursday. Then it switches back to the first one again and on and on like that. Should I be responsible for watching them on his days since I am not their biological mother? Please help me with this!!!!!!

JillS78

Asked by JillS78 at 4:10 PM on Dec. 28, 2010 in General Parenting

• Yes, when you married him, they came along w/ the package.
    genagina

Answer by genagina at 4:11 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• yes. You married him and his children. they became part of your family just as he did. It is your responsibility to take care of your new family.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:12 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• If you love your husband and want to help him, then yes.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 4:12 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Possession of them? Sounds like a drug or something.... But I would say its up to you guys to make the decision and if he wants you to help him out I would think its your responsibility as his wife.

bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 4:12 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Yes. You married a family not just the man. While you are not their bio mom, you are their step mom and have the same responsibilties.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 4:13 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Yes
    mlg87ok

Answer by mlg87ok at 4:13 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• "possession" the wording is a bit odd.

Yes... to do otherwise would make the girls feel unwelcome.  When you married him you knew he had kids... it would be rather unloving of you to do anything but embrace them... or at least make hubs and kids feel like you are embracing them.

Anonymous

• Why wouldn't you? Seriously?
    Fawn80

Answer by Fawn80 at 4:14 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I believe, that when you married him, you didn't become a maid for them or their babysitter.....
    HOWEVER....because he is the man you chose to marry and love, you should have learned to love and want what's BEST for his children...and in some way, they should have or should become apart of you and your life WITH your husband.
    I believe BOTH your roles are to parent those children to the best of your ability when they are with you and when they aren't with you (example....hypathetically(sp?)....going to their soccer games to cheer them on...even if it's not "your day/week").

Even if they aren't biologically your children...you ARE (should be) an example of what a mother and a wife is....
    So you chose how to mold their view with you, and the relationship you have with them.
    Ultimately it is your husband's responsibility, but you both need to talk to each other, and you need to express your feelings to him on the matter.
    CABlonde

Answer by CABlonde at 4:17 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Possession? Really? Is that how you see the girls? As possessions?

Anyway, YES you are responsible for watching them ... did you miss the MOTHER part of Step-Mother?

SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 4:17 PM on Dec. 28, 2010