ADHD testing

My child is in first grade.... The school gave him testing from the school board for ADHD. Which he did not have. Then this year they are giving him the same testing..... Does anyone know why? If he had ADHD wouldn't he have had it last year?

jeepwranglrbabe

Asked by jeepwranglrbabe at 1:12 PM on Nov. 10, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I do not know why. i would contact the school and ask exactly what they are testing and why. We have many different types of test that our school does, I know what everyone of them is for.

I would talk to the teacher first and see what they say. If you do not get a good enough answer then call and set a meeting up with the principal.

Good Luck
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 1:14 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• Are they testing without your consent? I don't see how they (legally) can without your approval.
    Anonymous

• That sounds very odd. I would think he would have had it last yr if it was a problem for him. Did they say why they tested him for it last year? Was he having a problem of some sort? I'd call them and ask them why they are testing him, what they are using to test him, and then contact your doctor to see if your dr. thinks there is a reason for concern. I'd also demand they immediately stop the testing if you didn't consent for them to do it to begin with. My son's school had to get my consent to test him for speech problems, so to me, this would be no different: they are testing for something other than to determine class placement or academic progress, so they should need your consent.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 2:47 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• It could be he still shows signs of ADHD... if you are concerned I would get him tested PRIVATELY with your own child pyschologist, not pediatrician but someone who is trained to diagnosis ADHD (not just a one page check list). If he truly has ADHD they can tell you, they also can give tips on dealing with it, help him learn focusing skills and give you good advice. Most also DON'T recommend medication until a certain severity is reached or the focusing skills don't help... The good thing about most pyschologist who deal with ADHD is they are trained to detect OTHER learning disabliities (which can be confused with ADHD)...

I would also be requesting a meeting with the school to find out exactly WHY they keep testing him...what makes them think he has it? Do they test every child?
    Good luck
    tiggerrrt

Answer by tiggerrrt at 4:03 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• sometimes they don't always show up on tests the first time because they aren't as severe... sometimes it takes time for adhd to get bad enough to diagnose... it's like any other disease... I know this because they used to test my brother every year up until 6th grade when it really started effecting his grades (although they had been slowly declining up until then) as soon as he got some counseling, and meds (which I do not recommend) he's been an honors student and he's now in 11th grade and has a 3.5 gpa... some kids around the age group this is in grow out of it... my stepson has improved so much more this year alone than he has in the past 4 years
    not-so-des-hw

Answer by not-so-des-hw at 4:53 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• I consented, because it only a test and I still have all final decisions in my hand.... but its just strange to me.
    jeepwranglrbabe

Answer by jeepwranglrbabe at 5:30 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• They tested my son a second time because as the children develope some of the symptoms of ADHD become more apparent and some they have to disregard do to maturity levels. So one year they may not present with ADHD exaclty and the next they may. I would ask them why they chose to test again then. Does he present with some signs that he could be ADHD. My son tests said he had ADHD, but he actually has a disorder called auditory processing disorder which presents like ADHD and I was glad that I investigated and didn't just believe that he has ADHD. It would not have been treated correctly. So it's always good to get a second opion.
    specialtyjewels

Answer by specialtyjewels at 10:04 AM on Nov. 11, 2008